Chapter 2: Battle training

Winterpaw followed Poppyroot out of the camp to the training area. 

'Whats first?" Winterpaw asked, excited and ready to learn whatever Poppyroot had to teach her.

"Well, right now there is a bit of grumbling between the other clans and prey is plentiful so I think you should learn to fight first, just so that in case of an attack you are ready. Hunting can be taken care of by the other warriors because the prey won't just disappear randomly." Poppyroot explained.

"Okay!" Winterpaw mewed quickly, eager to start training.

"First, I need to see what types of strength you posses. Attack me but don't use your claws." Poppyroot instructed, padding a few tail lengths away from Winterpaw and facing her.

Winterpaw crouched down and thought through carefully. If she leaped onto his back, he would know she was going to do that because of the way her eyes are looking in that position, but if she could fake a move then it might work! 

Winterpaw widened her eyes a little bit so that Poppyroot would think he knows where she would go. She looked straight at his back and launched towards him. It worked! Poppyroot sprang up, front paws out, ready to toss her aside but at the last moment Winterpaw slowed down, slided under him and gave him a blow on his belly, claws sheathed of course.

Then she slid out from under him and froom behind, landed on his back and pinned him down while he was still trying to figure out what happened.

"Wow! Where did you learn that move?" Poppyroot asked as Winterpaw let him get up.

"I-I'm not sure... I just had an idea and used it I guess..." Winterpaw stammered, amazed that she was already good at fighting. 

"Well, I think that move is great! Now, I want to see what you will do when I attack you." Poppyroot faced Winterpaw and lunged at her. Winterpaw sensed that he would try to land a blow on her back so she ducked down, turned over, and pushed her paws upward. If her claws had been out, she would have made four large scratches on Poppyroot's underbelly.

When Poppyroot stood up again, his eyes where wide with amazement. Winterpaw thought maybe she went to far and that he was angry. She layed her ears back in shame but Poppyroot wasn't mad.

"You seem to have a natural fighting ability! If I where a real enemy, you could have saved the clan from disaster! I never expected to get such a great apprentice!" Poppyroot complimented, giving Winterpaw a lick on the  head.

"Time to return to camp! I'll teach you hunting tomorrow." Poppyroot led the way back to the camp. Wow! Winterpaw thought. I didn't even know I could do that!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do you think she was so good? Share your thoughts in the comments! Feel free to give ideas too, I won't always use them but I just might! =3