Chapter 14: New Beginnings

Start from the beginning

Mateusz returned his attention to Kendal's hologram. "I don't really know. We are privy to knowledge, but only so much."

"You could have told me sooner."

"Perhaps I would have if you had asked me once you came back from Andor—before you left, even." Mateusz slid a finger beneath his eye. "Instead of hitting me without listening to a word and then avoiding me."

"I suppose it's my turn to apologize." Tarek's leg bounced again. "And I've been busy."

"I've noticed." Mateusz folded his hands on the desk, moving on to business. "So, you're satisfied coming back to the ERP as a mentor again?"

"Yes, more than satisfied."

"Good." Mateusz punched a few keys on his comp system and squinted at the monitor. "Looks as though students are benefiting. They all seem to have nothing but glowing respect for you." Mateusz rubbed the back of his neck. "Your exploits in Andor have made you something of a hero."

"Yes, well, young minds are easily manipulated, aren't they?"

"That they are, my friend."

None of those students knew how he had managed to save a Guide from a Warden, and of course he didn't tell them. Stories circulated, but none came remotely close to actual events. Why not add to the fables those innocent minds believed as truth?

A tinny voice coming from the intercom filled the room. "Your next appointment has arrived."

"Send her in." A slight grin curved Mateusz's lips. "Are you certain of this, my friend?"

Tarek laced his fingers across his stomach, confident and never more positive of anything in both his lives. "Absolutely."

"All right, then." The door swung open. "Prepare yourself."

Tarek smiled and shifted his attention to the entrance.

"Well if it isn't the dumbass himself." Wilma swooped in as bedraggled as ever and flopped into the seat beside him. "What the hell are you doing here? Don't you think you've harassed me enough?"

Tarek wanted to hug her. Kneel at her feet and worship her. "I had to come, had to thank you in person."

She snorted, waving legs too short to reach the ground. "You did enough of that, begging me and shit." She jabbed a finger at his forehead. "Where'd you lose your self-respect, boy?"

Yes, he did plead with her after Avery gave him Wilma's contact information. He told the stronger Protector everything, the secrets Mateusz had just warned him not to tell, Lena's life story, who she was, the way she lived—and loved.

Somehow, he had convinced her to take the responsibility. Maybe it was because both women came from the same place, both original Heterodox citizens. Maybe it had something to do with Lena's insatiable need to right all wrongs, protect innocent life. Whatever convinced Wilma, he was thankful for it.

"I..." He gave in and hugged her. "Thank you."

Miraculously, she allowed him to hold her, for about ten seconds. "Get the hell off me! I didn't come here to be groped by a giant dumbass." No anger laced her words as she easily shoved him off. If he didn't know better, he'd have sworn compassion filled her words.

Tarek sat back, smiling so wide his cheeks ached. This woman was exactly who Lena needed—who he needed, too.

"All right. Now..." Wilma smoothed back her hair and pinned an amused Mateusz with her blue glare. "The girl awake yet?"

"Yes, though not ready for release until tomorrow." He hesitated, his admiration for Wilma blatant on his face. "And we're honored to have you back with us, Protector. I can't tell you how excited the elders were to—"

Wilma waved off whatever compliments Mateusz had wanted to give. "Yeah, yeah. Save it. Is she planning to stay with the ERP?"

Mateusz hid a laugh behind a cough. "Yes, thankfully. She's become one of our strongest Guides."

Tarek's heart skipped as the two spoke. He knew she was awake, logic and all that. But knowing Lena was alive, whole... The knowledge made breathing worth the effort.

"Strongest and the biggest pain in the ass from what I hear." She nudged Tarek's elbow. "Ain't that what you told me, boy?"

"Ah..." Well, not in those words, no.

"Yeah, that's what you said. No need to sugarcoat shit. It all smells the same underneath." Wilma crossed her arms over her ample chest and again focused on Mateusz. "Has she agreed to the Pairing?"

Mateusz shifted in his seat, giving Tarek a sidelong glance. "She has been informed of the change, but..."

Tarek stood. "I'll convince her." He'd spent the entire month working on that one issue.

Wilma rolled her eyes. "Well, don't you think I should talk to her, too?"

Even though she'd hate it, Tarek bent to kiss the woman on her pudgy cheek. "You definitely should." He then went to the door before she had the chance to punch him in the mouth. "Midday tomorrow. Meet us at Shalen." He gave her the exact coordinates. "Farren will be there to keep you company until we arrive."

"What?" She swiped at the cheek he had kissed. "Why the hell do I have to go to the middle of nowhere to talk to her?"

Tarek opened the door. "You'll see."