Chapter 5: Glitches

More than my Guide.

Tarek's brain replayed those four words for the past week, awake or asleep.

Redheaded, observant jackass.

Farren had to voice it—bring truth into the open and air it out. Make Tarek think about Lena more than he already did. He noticed how she twirled her hair while studying live satellite feeds from other worlds, biting her lip in concentration.

How she picked over the peas in her stew as they talked about nothing important in the cafeteria.

How her smile made his heart lurch when she spoke to others in the hallways or during training, always willing to give her complete attention to anyone asking for it.

Shut up.

Shut up!

Shut up!

Now wasn't the time.

Lena sat next to him in Mateusz's sparse office, her chin held high as she pretended not to be nervous. So brave, even when the next few minutes could bring them closer to death. First assignments remained confidential until the moment before a scheduled leave. Another rule unexplained. Another rule everyone followed without question.

Everyone, except Lena.

"This is insane," she said to no one in particular. "Wouldn't it make sense to tell us earlier, give us a chance to prepare?"

Tarek said nothing, his leg bouncing overtime.

"I must follow the rules just as everyone else," Mateusz said, his face ashen and pinched. "And you will not be sent to any world not yet covered in your studies, I assure you."

"That doesn't answer the question, sir." Lena subtly placed a hand on Tarek's bouncing knee, calming his nervous tic. Where he was ready to leap from his chair, she kept her head—the usual lately.

"It's a question I can't answer." Mateusz laced his fingers together and rested them on his desk, his gaze drifting to a hologram of Kendal smiling and tucking hair behind her ear. "I wish I could. I wish I knew where you were going." He shook his head, and added, "I wish you had more training."

Tarek's temper almost snapped, but the last thing he needed to do was grip Mateusz up. Assaulting the ERP's overseer would only make their situation worse. "We're going because of you."

Weariness dulled Mateusz's eyes. "What are you saying?"

"I'm saying"—Tarek leaned forward, his finger inches from his supposed friend's face—"you agreed to this. You."

"Agreed to it, yes." Mateusz stood from behind his desk to stare out the glass wall giving a clear view of Cynosure bustle. "But..." He left his sentence to linger.

"Why?" Tarek's fingers clenched the chair's metal armrests so tight, his nails bent with the effort.

Mateusz bowed his head, quiet for a moment. Then, "I don't have much choice but to agree with the woman." He turned to Tarek. "Cassondra is my superior, too, my friend. When she demands, I must comply."

Lena cleared her throat, her fingers now squeezing his overactive leg. "Like agreeing to send Guides to collect bad energy in Andor...in exchange for giving good?"

Mateusz flinched. "She has the elders' approval." He pushed his glasses up with the tip of his index finger, his gaze returning to outside happenings. "I can't deny her anymore on that than I can on this."

Brilliant. Just perfect.

"She's a monster," Lena said, her voice low as if she feared her words had the power to escape the room and find Cassondra's ears.