Chapter 3

Luke and I arrived back home at about 8:30 pm. The sun had set well over a few hours ago, leaving the sky black and mysterious. The kids had ended up spending the night at their MeMaw's making it so that Luke and I would be home alone tonight and until at least noon tomorrow. Honestly, I wasn't exactly sure how I felt about that. I mean, I could always separate myself from him and just stay parked in my room all night but that would be rude. Ever since we made the connection that we had known each other at a different point and time, I couldn't help fighting the feeling that there was something more to that. I shook the feeling off, making the decision to dig deeper into that can of worms another time.

I went into my room to shower and change into some comfier clothes. As I turned the nozzle to the shower, it squeaked slightly before blasting a powerful shower of water. I undressed from my clothes and carried them into my bedroom, tossing them into the laundry basket by the door. I'd take that downstairs later to do laundry tomorrow. I felt kind of odd walking around naked in Luke's home, knowing he was just below me in the kitchen. It made me feel slightly sexy in a way. My stomach fluttered for the hundredth time this evening and my cheeks burned hot. I knew he could hear the shower and I wondered if he was imagining myself naked. Oh boy, what was I thinking, I've entered a private, scarcely visited state of mind. I shook my head. There's no way, I need to stop. This is ridiculous.

Yet as I showered, I couldn't help wondering if I was falling for Luke. I kept telling myself over and over again that I wasn't. He was just an attractive man who sang country music and wore a baseball cap. And I, well I was just his nanny, nothing more, nothing less. And that's the way I intend to keep it.

I slipped into a Georgia Bull Dog's tshirt and into some black sweatpants. My hair was thrown up into a messy bun. To be quite honest, I looked like a mess. As I made my way downstairs I could smell the aroma of whatever Luke was cooking. I entered the kitchen and saw that Luke had changed into sweatpants and a tshirt as well. He had the radio turned on, playing soft tune. He sang alone and I couldn't help but smile.

Luke turned around as he noticed I was standing there. "Hey.. Car- Caroline." He slightly stuttered.

"Whatcha making?" I asked, taking a fork from the silverware drawer and grabbing a bite of the food in the pan on the stove.

"Spaghetti. I figured you'd be okay with eating that. I mean, who doesn't like spaghetti?" Luke laughed as he pulled two plates from the cupboard out and set them on the island.

"Well good guess, spaghetti is one of my favorite Italian dishes." I said, smiling slightly.

Luke began to dish up the spaghetti onto the two plates he had grabbed and I suddenly felt like I needed to do something.

"I can grab us something to drink of you'd like." I said.

Luke looked up and nodded. "That'd be great. I'll take some ice water."

I just nodded and got us both some ice water. As I was getting ice out of the freezer, I looked over the calendar hanging on the refrigerator door. I noticed something written down for next Friday. Call Kelsie, take her to dinner. I just shook my head, not thinking much of it. Must be someone he knew from his label.

I joined Luke in the living room, setting both condensation-dripping glasses on the coffee table. Luke handed me my plate as I took a seat next to him. Luke's sofa sectional wasn't very big and it felt oddly intimate to be sitting this close to him. We ate in silence for a little while before Luke spoke up.