Chapter 28

Talk it out, say you're sorry,
don't be a dagum fool.

::::

Luke and I had kept our relationship on the down-low for about three weeks as of now with no slip ups. As far as we knew, nobody had caught on. The whole thing worried me, with how the kids and his fans would react and all.  Luke repeatedly assured me that both the kids and everybody else would respond well to us being together. He explained that the boys had taken well to me over the past few months and considered me almost family. Then he began to explain how his fans, the dedicated ones at least, always supported him in everything he did, especially when it came to him being happy in a relationship. Even then, the idea of not being welcomed with open arms still haunted me in the back of my mind.

Luke went back out on the road yesterday, headed to Evansville, Indiana, leaving me alone with the kids for the remainder of year basically. To be completely honest with myself, I was scared shitless to be doing this on my own for so long. But did I let Luke know that, hell no. I was determined to do this.

Luke's mama had picked up the kids earlier this morning and was keeping them for the next few days. Turns out, Luke had her do that so I could fly out to his second show of the year in Peoria, Illinois on the plane he'd bought a few months ago. I was leaving in a few hours to see him and I was super giddy not only to see him, but to see him perform. I just had to get through this lunch with Leah.

"So," Leah spoke up, taking a sip of her sweet tea. "Is the news out yet?" She smirked, using her hands for emphasis. "Luke Bryan, now off the market."

I almost spit my salad out. "What are you talking about?"

She rolled her eyes and began forking romain leaves doused in vinaigrette. "Oh hush, I've known you for so long that I can just tell by the way you walk and talk that something is up. You've had a little more pep in your step and cheeriness in your voice lately. Now tell me, are y'all a thing like I suspect, or did a litter of puppies show up on your doorstep?"

I smiled sheepishly. "Yes, we're a thing, but don't open your mouth to anyone."

She made a motion as if locking her lips. "Sealed. Now, when's the wedding, Mrs. Bryan?"

"Leah," I whined. "We've only been dating for three weeks. Goodness, now enough about me and Luke. How's things with my favorite kiddo ever, Nash?"

Leah instantly lit up, and for a moment, I felt the slightest hint of jealousy. I longed to be a mom and hold a child of my own in my arms. I'm smiled, returning my attention to her.

"I just can't believe he's going to be a year old this year! It seems like yesterday that I noticed I was late and well, what do you know, I found out I was pregnant with my first child." Leah said.

And it was then that it hit me. Period. Late. Shit. I felt the blood drain from my face and my heart started beating rapidly. Leah must have noticed.

"Caroline, what's wrong?" She asked.

I gulped. "Leah, I'm late. I was supposed to have my period three weeks ago."

"Have you been stressed? It could be that."

I thought for a moment and shook my head. "No, actually I haven't. Leah, what if I'm pregnant?"

She sighed. "When was the last time you and Luke had sex?"

"Luke's been so busy and with us keeping our relationship on the down-low, almost four and a half weeks ago."

:::