Jake stored the information away to examine at a later time.

"Anwar is a Muslim boy who is having trouble balancing both his religion and his lifestyle."

"Okay, you have to admit there's a pattern here. Even their names are alike," Mateo commented, referring to Arman.

"There's Chris, who only likes parties and drugs, but is a loyal friend."

"You got me there, I don't know anyone like that."

"The girls are Jal, Michelle and Cassie. Jal plays the clarinet and is quite serious. Michelle is Tony's girlfriend at the beginning of the show, but breaks up with him for treating her badly. Cassie is in love with Sid, but struggles with mental illness which makes her react to her feelings in unhealthy ways sometimes."

"Got it. You can tell me who the minor characters are later."

"Just remember to hit pause when you have a question. I hate it when people speak over a character's dialogues."

Jake touched the bandage that was poking through the neck of his shirt absent-mindedly.

"How's your tattoo doing?" Mateo asked, noticing the action.

"It's a little sore, but I can deal with that. I still can't believe you convinced me to get a tattoo."

"I can't believe you got a phoenix tattooed on your back, you wannabe hipster."

"Let's just watch the show," Jake said, starting to play the first episode.

Mateo watched in silence for the most part, asking the occasional question, while respecting Jake's condition. He seemed to enjoy the storyline and was attentive to details. At one point, he expressed his admiration for the character development, although he did not have enough information to fully appreciate the extent to which some characters had changed.

Jake was forced to take a break after five episodes, and to eat food that hadn't come out of a packet. He was impressed by the fact that Mateo could cook, but was slightly disappointed when he discovered that the only thing he could make was sandwiches. He offered his visitor a juice box, who surveyed it with distaste. Apparently the last time he had held a juice box was in middle school. However, he reluctantly accepted it because it reminded him of a Twenty One Pilots music video that he showed Jake before resuming their viewing of Skins.

When they finished the second-last episode and started the season finale, Jake was startled by a choking sound that seemed to have come from Mateo. He turned to look at him, and was shocked by the sight that met his eyes. Mateo Valdez, the last person he would have expected to be emotionally affected by fictional characters, was weeping. He was frantically rubbing his red eyes that already seemed swollen, missing some of the tears that had travelled down his cheeks to reach the collar of his shirt.

Jake did what any other boy would have done in this situation (at least that's what he told himself). He burst out laughing.

"I can't believe Mr. Tough Guy is crying!" he shrieked.

"How can you be so heartless?" Mateo wailed. "How can you laugh after that happened to Chris? He deserved better!"

"Wait, I'm just going to record this. It's going to make a great Vine."

"I hate you! I can't believe made me watch this."

"I think I'll call it 'muscular, tattooed, motorcycle-owning child has a meltdown'."

"It was supposed to be about teenagers dealing with the obstacles that come with adolescence, and partying," Mateo yelled, trying to hide his face from the phone that Jake was aiming in his direction.