Episode 3

"Him?" Jake spluttered, drawing away slightly in surprise.

"I just told you that I'm a cheater and you're concerned about the fact that I dated a guy?" Mateo asked, frowning. "Typical straight boy."

"It doesn't concern me. I was simply taken aback by the information. I wasn't aware that you were gay."

"That almost sounds believable. I'm bisexual, by the way. I like hot boys and girls. Mostly the former, but I would not turn down a Victoria's Secret model."

"Are you implying that I'm a homophobe? For your information, I'm an ally, and I have gay friends."

"Oh, yeah? Are their names Kurt and Blaine?"

Jake cleared his throat, preparing to give a speech about being a supportive and liberal individual, but was cut off by the sudden movement of the motorcycle starting. His body pitched forward and his arms wrapped around Mateo's waist instinctively. He felt Mateo chuckle and immediately pulled away.

"Afraid that feeling my washboard abs might make you consider dating men?"

"You could never make me question my sexuality. You're just not my type," Jake shot back.

"Calm down, Red, you're not my type either. I mean, you wear Polo shirts and pressed trousers. Remind me to burn all your clothes later."

Jake couldn't tell if he was being serious or not. The mix of confusion and fear that he felt around Mateo felt too familiar already. He decided to put aside the alarming image of his clothes making a bonfire, resisted the urge to make a reference to Orange is the New Black (upon hearing his newest nickname), and said, "My name is Jake, you know. You could call me that."

"Where's the fun in that, straight boy?"

He felt irritated at this, not because Mateo refused to call him by his name, but because of the way he referred to his sexuality. The condescending, disgusted tone had never been used in context to his romantic or sexual orientation. It reminded him of the way some of his peers talked about anyone who wasn't straight.

He remembered his own friends casually using homophobic words as a joke, and felt slightly embarrassed and guilty, because he had never done anything to correct them. He wondered what Mateo would've said if he heard Shawn calling people (and fictional characters) 'fags'. He definitely wouldn't have kept his mouth shut in an attempt to save his energy and time.

Perhaps this was Mateo's way of getting back at people like Shawn, and allies that only supported the cause with empty words.

Unable to deal with this realization, he tried to change the topic subtly and said, "You watch Glee?"

"My ex used to."

"What was his name?"

"First name none-of-your, last name business."

The abrupt change in his tone made it clear that he wasn't going to elaborate on the topic. His mood and demeanor changed so quickly that Jake was getting whiplash from trying to keep up.

He pondered about the relationship that had clearly meant something to Mateo. Did he still have feelings for his ex? Had he never entertained the possibility of wooing Astrid because he was not over the person he cheated on? But if he cared that much about him, why cheat on him in the first place? Jake knew he wouldn't even be able to look at other girls for too long if he was dating Astrid.

"We're here," Mateo grunted.

They had reached their destination faster than Jake had expected they would. He craned his neck, trying to get a better look at the auto repair store in front of them. A neon sign hung from the entrance, declaring that the store was open 24/7. Fliers from take-away restraurants and local bands covered half of the bulletin board leaning against a brick wall, while the other half was covered with deals that the place offered . A large window gave him a glimpse at various gleaming vehicles raised on pedestals.