Episode 5

"Damn, you actually look kind of cool."

Jake looked away from the mirror to glare at Mateo, then went back to admiring his reflection. He had to admit that Mihir had done a marvellous job in selecting the outfit he was currently wearing. The black skinny jeans felt strangely comfortable, and looked good when matched with a white shirt with the sleeves folded around his elbows. The jacket that Mateo had lent him completed the look.

While Jake managed to escape the eye-liner, he could not escape the gel that Mihir slathered all over his hair. The end product was impressive, but made it impossible for him to run his hands through his hair when he felt agitated. He tried to replace the habit with one that involved tugging on the leather bands on his wrist that his stylist had insisted he wear.

"I feel all dressed-up for no reason," he finally said.

"You'll get used to your new look soon enough. Besides, it's perfect right now, we're going out for lunch," Mihir declared.

"Are we eating at your family's restaurant?"

"No way. I'm so tired of that place. We're going to Arman's house for lunch. His mother's cooking is incredible."

"Is it alright if I come along? Or will that be too awkward?"

"It'll be fine, stop worrying."

Mihir was proved wrong as soon as the three had walked through the door after taking their shoes off (which was apparently something that was expected of guests in Arman's house). Two girls who were sitting on the sofa in the living room, looked up and glared at them the second they stepped into the foyer.

Jake assumed that they were glaring at him and was ready to leave, but froze in his tracks when Mateo spoke.

"Linh, Corinne, it's so nice to meet you here! Especially when you always look so pleased to see me."

"Well, I definitely wasn't waiting here to see you," one of the girls said, vacated her seat and walked out.

"Bye Rin-Rin!" Mateo called out to her.

She simply raised her middle-finger without turning around, and proceeded to walk swiftly down the sidewalk.

"Someone doesn't seem to be very fond of you," Jake noted.

"She's not the only one," Mateo replied, shrugging and walking past Linh to a staircase that he started to climb quickly.

"He's not in his room," Linh spoke, stopping Mateo.

She offered no explanation, extricated her phone from her purse and began to scroll through pictures on her Instagram feed. She paused occasionally in her double-tapping to write a quick comment, but refuse to look at the new-comers.

"I guess I'll wait here, then," Mateo sighed, and sat on the opposite end of the couch.

"What's up with them?" Jake whispered to Mihir, curiousity grabbing hold of him.

"It's a long story. Ask Mateo later when he's in a good mood."

"I can't tell when he's in a good mood!"

"Take a guess and hope he doesn't throw something at you."

Jake did not like the sound of that, but he decided not to voice his concerns. Instead, he sat on a nearby chair that was partly covered with plastic and observed his surroundings.

There was a flat-screen television on the wall in front of them, and speakers attached to it. There was just one picture nearby, and it depicted the rising sun seen from a beach. The only furniture apart from the couch and a few chairs, was a small glass table upon which spare change and keys were kept neatly.