Chapter Seventeen: Prom

Casey arrived early so we'd have plenty of time to beautify ourselves before the guys showed up at three. We spent hours perfecting our makeup and styling our hair. Mom pushed bobby pins into my hair to anchor it.

"Ouch!" I adjusted some of the pins.

"Are you all right?" Casey asked.

"Yeah. My head feels like a pin cushion. I guess it's the price to pay for beauty."

Casey laughed and glanced at the clock. "The guys should be on their way."

"If you're not comfortable tonight, don't hesitate to call. I can be there in less than an hour," Mom offered.

"Don't worry." I gave her a hug. "You should know by now that Lucas is a complete gentleman."

"I know, but I still worry. It's your first prom." Her eyes started to water.

"It's really going to be okay."

"I know. I just wish your dad were here for this," she sniffed.

"Mom, you have to stop crying or you'll make me cry. I don't want to look puffy."

"I'm sorry, honey." She used the sleeve of her shirt to wipe her eyes.

I glanced at the clock. It was two-thirty. "We need to finish up. The guys will be here within the hour." I turned my stereo on. I figured listening to music would get us in the mood to dance. Casey and I bounced around in front of my mirror making sure our hair wouldn't move.

"I see the limo," Casey shrieked, looking out the window.

"I'm getting butterflies."

"Me too," Casey admitted.

I helped her with her dress and she helped me with mine. We plastered gobs of double-sided tape so I wouldn't have any accidental slips during the night. "Eliana, you look so gorgeous; your hair is perfect for that dress."

"Thanks, you look incredible, too. We're going to be the hottest divas at prom." We stared at ourselves in the mirror admiring the complete package before loading our little clutches with essentials and applying another coat of lip gloss.

Mom came back in the room. "The guys are downstairs." Her eyes filled with tears again.

"Okay, we'll be right down. I just want to spray some perfume," I said.

"All right, hurry so I can get pictures before you leave."

"I'm ready when you are," said Casey.

"Okay, lead the way." I set my perfume bottle back on my vanity.

Carefully, I walked down the stairs. I didn't want to trip. Lucas stood at the front door. His tuxedo made him irresistible. He looked me up and down and his eyes widened. "You look..." he paused.

"You're at a loss for words. That must be a good thing."

"That dress..." he grinned.

"Yeah, I thought you'd like it." I spun around. "I'm not sure how I'm going to top this dress next year."

"I like the fact you're already planning our next prom." He slipped a corsage on my wrist and leaned in to kiss my cheek.

"Okay kids; let's go outside for some pictures." Mom already had her camera in hand, snapping candid shots.

We stepped outside onto the grass. Mom took enough pictures to make one of her coffee-table books.

"I should have these ready on Monday," she said, and snapped a few more.