Mythbusting

There are so many myths about Slytherins and we'll tackle a few.

(1) All Slytherins are purebloods.
This is not true. There are not enough purebloods for that. They probably have a healthy mix of muggleborns, purebloods and halfbloods. Salazar Slytherin valued purebloods but we think it is more than that. Purebloods are very traditional and only having purebloods in Hogwarts would mean that the Hogwarts' customs and heritage would remain intact. If we introduced muggleborns, it would mess the whole thing up. Or maybe he just didn't like muggleborns but the thing is not all Slytherins are purebloods, maybe they were but that was a long time ago.

(2) All Slytherins are bad guys.
This myth started because of Voldemort. He only took on deatheaters that are purebloods and the majority were in Slytherin so automatically they became bad guys. After Voldemort's deatheaters, the generation of The Golden Trio, most weren't evil or remotely bad. They were supposed to behave like bad guys so they did.
"Be Who The World Wants You To Be" That is clearly what they did. They never were bad, they just did what was expected of them.

(3) Slytherins are disloyal.
Slytherins are extremely loyal. It is hard to win their loyalty and they may seem untrustworthy but they are not. They are highly selective on where their loyalties lie because being betrayed hurts and they know that so they are careful. They would never betray without good reason and they fiercely protect those whom they love.

(4) Slytherins are rude.
Okay, most Slytherins would have an arsenal of words to throw at you if you pissed them off. Slytherins are rude to those whom they don't respect and to Slytherins respect is earned. They live firmly by that. Just because you are their principal / teacher/ boss / (someone of high authority) doesn't mean they give it to you. So if a Slytherin is being rude, you might want to make sure you didn't piss them off or that they like-like you. (Draco Malfoy insulted Hermione because he like-liked her)

(5) The Snake.
The snake is associated with temptation and evil, mainly because it was a snake that made Adam and Eve eat the forbidden fruit. The serpent or snake is said to represent rebirth or immortality due to the way its sheds its skin. Throughout history it has been associated with evil and temptation and also, wisdom.

We all have a healthy mix of Slytherin,Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff. Whichever house you happen to be in, I wish you the best of luck and that you give your house pride.

 Whichever house you happen to be in, I wish you the best of luck and that you give your house pride