And then my eyes widened as the soldiers brought out a big ass battering ram on a tripod from the back of an SUV. Fury had seen it too. "Get in the back," he ordered.

I didn't hesitate. I climbed into the backseat as Fury crawled over to the passenger seat.

"Warning. Window integrity compromised," Keith reported.

"You think?" Fury snarled.

The battering ram began to hum and dug its legs into the road, cracking the pavement under its feet.

"How long to propulsion?" Fury demanded.

"Calculating."

The battering ram slammed into the side of the car, sending that side hovering off the ground and crashing back down.

"Window integrity thirty one percent. Deploying countermeasures."

"Hold that order!"

"What?" I shrieked.

"Not yet!" Fury roared.

The battering ram smashed into the car again and again and again. My pulse throbbed in my ears. My hands shook as I braced myself between the passenger seat and the back seat, my back against the door. My heart raced into a gallop.

"Window integrity nineteen percent. Offensive measures advised."

"Wait!"

The battering ram smashed into the window, leaving a circular glass dent.

"Window integrity one percent."

"Fury!"

"Now!"

A gun of his own popped from the middle of the front seats, packed with what looked like a machine gun and a grenade launcher. Fury gripped it and opened fired. I ducked lower into the back seat. I slammed my eyes shut and covered my ears. I heard bullets riddling men and cars. I heard an explosion, followed by another, cars blowing up and flipping.

"Propulsion systems now online," Keith reported.

"Full acceleration! Now!" Fury ordered.

The wheels moved, but we did not. Then it reversed into the car behind us and pulled out of the war zone. I peeked from over the back seat to see the carnage behind us. I created a ball of golden energy in my hand and chucked it out the back window. I watched it roll to the warzone. I smiled, and snapped my fingers. It exploded in a shower of gold, blowing up any enemy left there. It was a scene Die Hard Bruce Willis would be proud of.

Keith drove us through the streets. We sped as far away from the enemy as fast as we could. What the hell was going on?

"Initiate vertical takeoff!" Fury ordered.

"Flight systems damaged."

"Then activate guidance cameras!"

He jumped behind the wheel, crying out in pain as he landed. "Give me the wheel!"

I glanced out the back window. Two cop cars were chasing us. "They're after us!"

We weaved through the cars at top speed, the cop cars on our tail. I gripped the headrests so hard that my fingers dug into the leather.

"What the hell is going on?" I snarled.

"Get me Agent Hill," Fury commanded, ignoring my question.

"Communications array damaged," Keith replied,

"Well, what's not damaged?"

"Air conditioning is fully operational."