23. " Calm Before the Storm "

Start from the beginning

"I don't exactly know what happened but judging by the looks on everyone's faces, I can tell that it's something really serious.", Yuuki said.

"Yeah...", Orihime muttered sadly.

"Is there anything that I can do to help?", Yuuki asked.

Orihime shakes her head no. "You don't have to involve yourself into this. Plus you already have your own problems to deal with."

"Yeah... but... everyone helped me out last time so it's my turn to help them this time. I know that I'm not strong but I wanted to help in some way.", Yuuki tried to reason.

"I understand how you feel...", Orihime emphathized. "Back when Kurosaki-kun went to Soul Society to save Kuchiki-san, I also thought of the same. I came with him thinking that I can be of help to him in some ways but in the end... I did nothing at all but to rely on him. It was foolish of me to think that he would rely on me as well someday... but I think that time will never come."

Yuuki stared at Orihime while taking it all in. "Orihime....... you really like Ichi-nii, don't you?"

Orihime blushes. "Ehh?! Ahh? C-Can you tell?!"

"Hehe... yeah... it's written all over your face.", Yuuki teased making Orihime blush harder. "But Ichi-nii is kind of dense when it comes to those kind of things so he won't know until you tell him."

Orihime hums in agreement. "But enough talk about me, what about you? Do you have some you like?"

Now it was Yuuki's turn to blush. "Y-Yeah... I do.", she admitted timidly.

Hearing this, Orihime beams in excitement. "Really?! Did you tell him?"

"I already did.", Yuuki said.

"So? What did he say?!", Orihime enthusiastically asked.

"He said I was just mistaken and that I was confused.", Yuuki said, unshed tears shimmer in her eyes. "He might have rejected me but somehow, giving up on him doesn't feel right. That's why it's just one-sided for me."

"Eh? Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh?!!! Are you sure he said that?!", Orihime questioned in astonishment.

"Yeah....", Yuuki simply said.

Orihime stopped in her tracks gaping while Yuuki continues walking unaware that Orihime stopped.

"Yuuki-chan was rejected?!", Orihime mumbled. "Hmm... there can only be two kinds of people in the world that would reject her. It's either he's an alien or a kid..... yup... must be a kid.", she thought out loud.

Unbeknownst to her, Toushirou and Rangiku weren't far behind and heard everything. The words she said stabbed Toushirou like a spear and the word 'kid' was the fatal blow for him and was even mentioned twice.

"Taichou... are you okay? That was quite a heavy blow and you weren't even on guard.", Rangiku asked much to her amusement.

As soon as she heard the familiar voice, Orihime turns around and saw Rangiku supporting Toushirou who looks droopy and gloomy.

"Ah! Rangiku-san! Toushiro-kun! What are you guys doing here? I thought you were still at Kurosaki-kun's place.", Orihime asked while approaching them.

"We just finished talking to him. We were on our way to your house since need a place to stay for a while.", Rangiku said.

"Hehe... I'm glad you decided to go to my place, it's starting to get gloomy over there.", Orihime cheerfully said. "Speaking of gloomy...... what happened to Toushirou-kun?"

"He's just tired that's all, but he'll be fine.", Rangiku offhandedly said.

Despite her confusion, Orihime didn't question any further.