Roomies

Rick's POV

NORMAL.

A word I never thought I'd use to define the Enchantress, that demon of a woman whose brain was so warped she almost wrecked one mission due to her villainous side. Right now she sits across from me at the marble counter top, snarfing down a bowl of frosted flakes (after two plates of steak, a box of donuts and a glass of red wine) like there's no tomorrow. Nothing about her screams crazy. In fact, she was too normal for my taste.

"You're not hungry?" She motions at my plate with her spoon. Her mouth is full and she looks more or less like a chipmunk with her golden brown hair splayed around her face.

"I'd rather watch you eat." 

The truth is that I'm having a splitting headache right now. My brain is all fuzzy due to the number of bottles I've drank for protection detail. Yes I'm playing the part of an alcohol addict since ten minutes into my first conversation with the Enchantress, I realized that she has no idea at all who she was...or is. Heck, she doesn't even recognize me. I'm an excellent strategist and years in the military helps me pick out the lies from the truth. And she was definitely telling the latter. Which also, only made her more dangerous. Not being aware of her alter ego roughly means that she doesn't know she needs to be controlling something within her.   

I put a hand under my chin. "You look like you haven't eaten for ten years."

She scrunches her nose. "I've been through a lot for the past forty-eight hours. Being in your company has done wonders to my appetite." I note the thick sarcasm in her words. Feisty little devil, isn't she?

"You're welcome then."

She makes a face, but goes back to finishing her meal. With nothing else to do, I decide to walk around the apartment. It was a penthouse, the top room with the best view of the metropolis. The ceiling is high with glass windows that are made to be as high and wide as they could be. The living room is not that grand, with simple cushioned chairs, a carpet and a flat screen television. There's the piano in one corner, fireplace, and is that a...gym? Given a small work-out area, but still.

 All in all, a classy place to be. 

It must have cost her a fortune. I wasn't even aware that June Moone--still not used to calling her with that name--can afford all this luxury. I mean, her personality and the way she carries herself doesn't really give an aura of haughtiness which is expected if you were this rich. I guess that's one of the qualities I commend her for.

"You should start unpacking. We're going to dinner with Doctor Waller--"

A dry laugh escapes my lips. She glares at me.

"--and she definitely hates people who come in late. I don't want another lecture from her so you should freshen up. And.." She places both hands on either side of my face, examining it. I freeze, not expecting her to do this. I've gone too long with no human contact that I go edgy when she runs her fingers on my stubble. 

"Ever heard of a shave, Flagg?"

I smirk at her brashness. "Ever heard of personal space, Moone?" 

Her bright blue eyes stared at me for a second and realizing what she's doing, she hurriedly drops her hands to her side. She looks away as a blush spreads across her pretty face. "Whatever," she mumbles under her breath.

Sheesh, Flagg. Don't let her get mad. That's the very thing you should be avoiding.

"Uh..where do I put my stuff?" I say, trying to change the subject.

Thankfully, it works. She walks towards the door on the left. She opens it and shows me inside.  "Well, this will be your room. It has a bed, a closet, a phone--in case of emergency--and you also have your personal bathroom." 

I nod, throwing my bag on the ottoman.

"If you ever need me, my room's just adjacent to yours." She turns and goes to the door.

"Hold up. You mean to say you're living with me? As in, you're staying?" I scratch the back of my neck. This was not the plan. 

She crosses her arms and leans on the door. "Technically, you're living with me."

I walk towards her, shaking my head in disbelief. "Listen, Ms. Moone. I don't know what you've heard about me or what Waller told you, but if there's one thing you have to keep in mind, it's that I very much prefer...isolation." I enunciate the word clearly so it would go through her head.

"And I prefer company," she matter-of-factly states, raising a thick brow. I try doing what I call the listen-to-me-I'm-more-superior-than-you look, but she doesn't budge. "So if you don't want to get kicked out in the streets, you better get your bum in the shower and start bathing. I'll see you at six, Mr. Flagg."

Then she makes her exit, leaving me speechless.

"My bum, eh?" I chuckle at the absurdity of the situation. Looking out the window, I sigh. I could easily leave, but my instincts tell me I have to know what's going on. I pick up the towel from the chair and walk towards the bathroom. 

"I'll let you win, Waller."

For now.

********

June's POV

I stop myself from gawking. 

I mean, really. I'm not a person who gapes. I hate it when people do that. It's rude. But seeing that Richard Flagg in the corner, casually leaning on the wall dressed in the suit I laid out for him on the bed while he was showering, well...let's just say I was caught off-guard. His face is cleaner now, though he still didn't shave his beard entirely. But I think that just adds up to his hotness. Wait...what? Tell me I just didn't say hotness. 

God, this dinner with Doctor Waller is making me jittery.

Flagg is too busy being annoyed by his suit, as he is tugging on the cuffs like he's secretly wishing it'll rip off, that he didn't even notice me come up to him. 

"I'd greatly appreciate it if you don't rip it apart."

He looks up and sees me, a smirk now replacing his previous frown. "Not if I can help it." He then straightens, towering over me. 

"I have to be honest, that suit makes you look...sober." What I wanted to say is 'dapper,' but I thought otherwise. 

He chuckles and puts one hand on his pocket. "You don't look so bad yourself." He nods to my simple white dress. 

"I've had better days."

My hair is kept in a high ponytail and I've put on light make-up just to cover those dark shadows under my eyes. I won't exactly refer to myself as beautiful, but at least I've made a little effort to look presentable. Eve will be proud. 

He offers his arm to me. "Shall we?" 

For the first time since we met, I finally smiled. "We shall." I loop my hand around his arm and hope with all my heart that tonight will go fine.

After all, what can go wrong?