Chapter 18: Out in the Heat

I watched as Kevin swung the door open, letting it slam shut behind him. He sauntered up to the front of the principal's desk, and flopped in the chair beside me, carrying the strong scent of cigarette smoke with him. Josh fidgeted with the buttons of his blue flannel shirt, eyes cast downwards.

"Well, boys," Principal Rudman said, fixing us with a beady eyed glare, "I wish I could call you gentlemen, but you are evidently not." I swallowed, my heart in my throat. I'd never been summoned to the principal's office before, not once in my whole life. Avoiding the man's gaze, I took in my surroundings. A dark oak desk, a handmade, lopsided ceramic ashtray, a framed picture of Rudman next to a teen boy in a football jersey. They were both smiling the same, gap-toothed grin. I gulped. How could I forget? Rudman's son played for the team.

Kevin shifted in his seat. "I don't see why I'm here," he said. "I didn't get into no fight." I stared at Kevin open mouthed, but he shot me a burning glare and went on, "I've got nothing to do with this."

Rudman surveyed us under bushy, judging brows. "I was informed otherwise." His mouth was framed with deep frown lines. "Both Peter and Jasper will not be able to play this season, given their severe injuries-"

"What do you mean - severe?" I blurted out.

Rudman ran a hand over his balding scalp. "You boys damaged Peter's knee and Jasper may have a concussion. This is all very serious, and certainly going on your permanent record." He sighed. "We were counting on them for the championships. Are you aware how this affects our chances? What this does to the honor of our school?"

Kevin gripped the edge of his chair with whitening knuckles. "I didn't do nothing to Peter. Check the fucking - I mean - please check the cameras. Sir," Kevin said. "Can I go now?"

Rudman shook his head. "Unfortunately, the security cameras have been - uh - malfunctioning recently."

A muscle in Kevin's jaw jumped. "Malfunctioning."

"The matter is being looked into."

I exchanged glances with Josh. "I hope you fix them soon," I said. "It's for our safety!"

Rudman stared at me. "Indeed, but as of now, we must rely on testimonies. However, your record gives me every reason to believe you were involved," he said, wagging a finger at Kevin. "You are a troublemaker."

"I get into fights, yeah. But I know better than to fight someone on the team. I know how important they are to this school," his voice shook slightly, fury and sarcasm barely suppressed, but I saw it in the throbbing vein in his jaw, in the vice like grip his hands had on the chair.

"It's true," I choked out, my vision blurring. It was too much. Everything was too much. "Kevin had nothing to do with this. Ask anyone. It was my fault."

Rudman turned to me. "I have spoken to many sources. Confidential sources," he added.

I laughed dryly. "Basically, it's our word against theirs."

Rudman frowned. "You have not done a lot to prove you are trustworthy. I've heard many things about you, Rocky Apollo, none of them good."

My heart sped up. "Really?" I said through gritted teeth. "Maybe you heard I'm top in my class, that I got moved up a grade? Or maybe I won't be doing that great anymore because of my concussion! Which I got because Paul bullies me for no reason!" I cried, standing up. Josh tugged my sleeve, whispering something, but I swatted his hand away.

"Sit down, Rocky," Rudman raised his voice and glowered at me.

"Maybe if you cared at all about bullying, no one would get hurt!" I yelled.