Chapter 13

“Guess who?”

Louis grinned, patting the hands that were covering his eyes from view. It was entirely obvious who it was, Louis had guessed it as soon as the figure had jumped behind him. A happy feeling fluttered inside of him as he pried the fingers from his face and turned around, raising an eyebrow.

“That is terrible rude putting your grubby fingers all over my beautiful face,” he mockingly scolded, before reaching out to kiss Eleanor gently on the lips. She grinned as he pulled back, looking beautiful as ever. Louis vaguely wondered what he had done to deserve her.  “Hello, lovely.”

“Hello to you too,” Eleanor greeted, shifting a pile of books in her arms. Louis reached out to grab them, easily swatting her hands away when she protested, trying to get them back. When Eleanor finally gave in and let Louis’ hold her books, she shook her head, not hiding her fondness at all. “What are you doing then?”

Louis had been waiting in the university cafeteria for Eleanor, doing nothing much at all. “I was just hanging around, waiting for you to come up and light up my world.”

“Like nobody else,” Eleanor trilled, missing the way the smile dropped from Louis’ face. “The way that you flip your hair gets me overwhelmed.” Finishing the line with a dramatic twirl, she burst into a peal of giggles before stopping, a frown creasing on her forehead as she noticed Louis’ pinched expression. “What was my singing really that bad?”

Louis forced his features into a small smile that thankfully had Eleanor convinced. “I think you’ve broken my ears.”  

“Don’t be rude!” Eleanor squawked grabbing one of her books and sitting down next to Louis. “Are we waiting for Ryan now?” She asked, referring to Louis’ friend and roommate. Ryan was studying teaching with Louis’ and they had hit it off wonderfully. In fact, it was Ryan who had introduced Louis to Eleanor at a party. 

“Yeah,” Louis nodded his posture a forced casualness. “I was thinking you could come over tonight, we could watch some movies or something. Ryan’s going out.”

Eleanor nodded, pressing a kiss to Louis’ cheek before flipping open one of her politic books and leaving Louis to his own thoughts, which was something he didn’t really want. 

Louis felt horrible about never telling Eleanor about his relationship with Harry, even though it was something that he was still caught up about. Over the two months of dating and an even longer stretch of friendship he had had so many times that he could have told her. In fact, he wasn’t even sure why he hadn’t bought told her. It wasn’t like he was still in love with Harry. 

Except, he was.

Shaking his head and banishing the unwanted thoughts from his mind, Louis poked Eleanor teasingly in the stomach laughing loudly when she turned to whack his shoulder. “You think you can take me on, huh?” He challenged before reaching in to smother her face with kisses.

Eleanor’s giggling – adorable, lighthearted and familiar – rid all thoughts of Harry Styles from his mind.

“You do know that you’re out of milk right?”

Louis shrugged. “No I didn’t know.”

Eleanor sighed, flicking her hair behind her shoulder and observing Louis with a stare that made him want to crawl underneath a desk and never come out. He didn’t do that though – instead he stared defiantly back, quirking his lips in a grin.

“What are you going to do about it?” She finally asked when Louis made no move of backing down.

Louis pretended to think for a moment. “Text Ryan and ask him to get some tomorrow morning.”