Chapter 1 - Without Mom and Dad

It all started with the news channels. Mom was in the kitchen one night, cooking supper. Dad was on the couch, watching the news. Mika and I were on the floor, playing with our new dolls we had gotten for Christmas.

The news reporter lady said that there was a sudden burst of cannibilism in the area. Obviously I didn't understand. When mom called us in for supper, I asked her.

She didn't answer. Her eyes were fixed on dad. And his eyes were fixed on the television screen.

Mom called for supper again.

Still no movement.

She walked in front of the tv.

Still no movement.

She turned off the tv.

Finally, he looked up, then looked at us.

"Lisa, I've got to talk to you after supper." he said once he finally got up and walked to the dinner table.

We had meatloaf that night. If I had known that would be the last time mom cooks for us, the last time we have a family dinner, maybe I would have appreciated it more.

I asked mom, "What does cannibilism mean?"

Her eyes fixed on my dad, his jaw dropped.

"Nothing, don't worry about it." They told me, in sync.

I finished my dinner and was excused from the table. Mika and I went in our room to watch tv.

Well, Mika did. I was more interested in what dad has to talk to mom about that he couldn't say in front of us.

"It's probably nothing, John, probably just some hacker getting into the system again." Mom was saying in her 'whisper' voice.

Not so much of a whisper.

"But what if it's not? What if we're all in actual danger?" Dad sounds worried.

"We're not. It's not possible for people to just die and come back. It's not possible to just start eating other people."

Cannibilism. Eating other people. Gross.

I was hiding in the hall closet, located next to the living room and hall entrance. I hit my head on the door, causing myself to fall out, landing in the hallway, clear in mom and dad's view.

Busted..

------------

"What were you doing in the closet, Lizzie?" Mom asked me with her arms folded across her chest.

"I told you already. I lost my doll and couldn't find it. I was looking for it." I repeated once again for the third time.

"With the door shut? How could you find anything in a dark closet?" Dad questioned me this time.

"Okay fine. I didn't lose my doll. I wanted to hear what you guys were hiding from me and Mika. It's not fair. We're o-" I was interrupted by a banging on the door.

But it's 9 o'clock. Who would be here..

"John, answer the door." Mom said, while sitting next to me.

Dad walked over to the door and mom continued to talk. I was no longer paying attention. I now had my focus on dad and the door.

He looked out the peephole and jumped back.

"Lisa..." he began.

"Not now, John, I'm talking to Lizzie." She kept her focus on me.

"Lisa.. Who did you invite over?" He asked with what sounds like fear in his voice.

"Nobody, I thought yo-.." The banging continued followed by moans from outside the door.

"Mommy, what's that noise?" Mika came out of the bedroom with her bear. She was originally sleeping, but I guess the person outside the door must have woken her up.

The banging continued.

"Quick, basement." Mom said, jumping up and grabbing Mika and I's hands.

Dad was trying to follow, but the door burst down.

We heard his screams from the basement. Mom locked the basement door and ran us into the safe room.

"Mommy don't go.. Stay here please.." Mika pleaded with tears in her eyes.

Mom ran up the stairs, locked the door behind her and never came back.

We heard her screams as well.

But couldn't do anything about it because she locked the door from the outside.

We were in the safe room for three months before the governor found us.