"Yes. Just fine."

I'm trying to keep my thoughts from swimming, and it's not working so well.

"Don't you be short with me."

I tried to tell you, I really did. I tried to say goodbye that last day, but it just wouldn't come out. I don't have a good excuse for this other than I hate seeing you cry.

You cried, didn't you? Mom told me you're not doing so good. I'm really sorry.

I bet you'd want it the other way, with us stretching the end of everything out. So, if you want, I'm willing to do that. For you, I would awkwardly write letters and talk on the phone.

"Sorry, mom," I sigh, "I'm just focusing, that's all."

But I want you to know that I don't want to be a couple any more. I've hurt you and me too much, and I think it's better this way. So if you want to only keep talking if we'd still be together, maybe we shouldn't.

I don't know if I agree with her or not. I don't know if I'd want to stay in a relationship with her, after all that. It's not that I wanted to hear from her so that we'd still be together, I just... I don't know. I just wanted to know what was up on her end.

"Could you turn on the fan, sweetie?"

"Sure."

I sent you a copy of the picture. I have the original that Jonathon gave me. On the back is my landline phone number, at Dad's house. Call if you want. We're in the same time zone.

"Oh, thank you, August, that's so much nicer."

I flip over the photo and sure enough, there's a phone number.

"No problem."

I know that that's probably not enough, but that's all I really have to give you.

"You know, I honestly could go for a glass of ice water."

I'm really sorry.

"Yeah."

I hope this is enough.

"Would you get us both a glass, then?"

Love,

Emily

"Sure."

I get up and walk into the kitchen, almost bumping into a wall or two due to how my nose is still buried in the letter.

P.S. If you haven't thrown this away yet, say hey to the team for me?

I pull out two glasses and open the freezer, scooping ice into them. Fill them up and carry them back into the living room, letter between my teeth.