Protect Me: Chapter 4: Chunin Exams part i

A/N I am currently doing this on my phone because i lack internet. (') <this is for thoughts.

~~~~~~

I chuckled darkly as I walked into the room. I was the first one there, so I had first pickings of places to wait. I chose the corner farthest from the door, which also happened to be the darkest. From here I could see everyone who walked in.

As the hours went by, teams slowly trickled in. I couldn't help but smile darkly at their reactions when they looked at me. I had an aura worse than Gaara's.

Then they walked in.

I sensed him before they opened the door. As they walked in, his eyes sent straight to mine. Both sets of eyes narrowed and we both smirked, probably for the same reason. We were going to kill each other. I patted the katanas on my hips and his eyes flicked down. The deadly tension in the room grew as they went and stood close to me.

Gaara hadn't told anyone about that night. Why would he? He was "unbeatable," and I had beat him. That thought amused me so much that I chuckled. Everyone glanced at me, but their attention was diverted to that kid I met at the ramen bar. Oh joy, he's super annoying.

~~~~~~~~

The first part of the exam was boring.

I spent 40 minutes sitting there, watching everyone. I was sitting in a row in front of Gaara, and I was next to Itachi's younger brother. He was using the Sharingan to copy the guy in front of him. I closed my eyes, letting the sounds of pencils create an image. One of the ninja along the walls was a puppet. There were mirrors around the light reflecting answers to someone. Gaara was using a sand eye thing. A Hyuga was using the Byakugan. Assume was looking at me like I was crazy. I kept my face expressionless as I started writing down the answers I saw on a completed exam. 9 question, 5 minutes, no problem. I finished in three.

"How did she-?" I heard multiple people around me mutter. I kept my face as blank as Itachi's. I hung around him too much at home...

'Itcha-kun! Hidan won't stop being a pervert again!' I ran and hid behind the man with black hair and red eyes. He sighed and just looked at an 11 year old me and then a slightly nervous Hidan.

'Leave her alone, Hidan,' he said in monotone. Hidan growled and walked away.

'Thank you nii-chan,' I whispered. Itachi poked my forehead. 'Can we go train?' He chuckled. Only I could get emotion from him.

'Sure, Kuryah, sure.'

~~~

'Itcha-kun,' I said emotionlessly. He glanced at me, and I saw worry shadowing his eyes.

'Kuryah-chan?' he whispered, standing up from his desk and walking to my form that was sitting in a corner.

'I've come to grips with my hatred,' I stated. He froze, and in his eyes I saw fear. Not fear of me, but fear for me.

'And you've changed to this?' He gestured at my body which was all clad in black now, instead of the color I used to wear. It was only a few weeks after another Hidan incident. Itachi hadn't been there to protect me though, so Hidan took advantage of it. Itachi still didn't know. I was still eleven.

'Yes. A kunoichi, especially Death, should have no emotion but hatred. It drives us to kill.' I saw a tear ru-

I was broken from my thoughts by that blonde yelling something about not scaring him away. Crap I missed the tenth question!

'This idiot should shut up so we can hear the tenth question,' a voice growled in the back of my mind. I got an instant headache and gripped my temples. I knew that voice, and only one person had ever been able to get into my head like that before.

"Gaara," I whispered shakily. I felt Sasuke glance at me, but I ignored him.

'Dammit, not again!' I yelled in my thoughts. I closed my eyes and tapped my foot, creating a muddled image of the room. I saw Gaara sitting there with wide eyes. Dammit, the connection was open again, but why? I saw his eyes narrow as he glanced around. I shivered when he looked at me, and he caught the slight movement. His glance turned into a glare at my back.

'Kuryah, is that you?' Act dumb.

'Gaara, what's going on? I haven't heard from you in years.'

'Taking the Chunin Exam in the Leaf village. Are you ok?'

'I'm fine,' I tried to think brightly, but an image of Hidan popped into my head. I growled, out loud and in my thoughts.

'Are you taking the exam too?' Before I could answer, a window broke as something flew in. The amount of sound waves caused my image to become super detailed in a millisecond, making my headache much much worse. Before the glass and flying object hit the ground, I did a hand sign and froze them all. A muffled voice came from the object as everyone started whispering. Great, more noise.

"Whoever is doing this, stop," the proctor said. I opened my eyes and looked at him.

"Sorry," I said. All eyes snapped to me and everyone fell silent. "The noise was a little much." I let everything go, and cringed a little when the glass hit the floor.

"Ibiki, who did that?" the woman, who's entrance I had stopped, asked. He glanced at her, and then to me. I gave a little wave. She smiled and winked at me. "I like you kid." I tuned her out as she explained the second part of the exam. I had heard enough from everyone at home. As everyone stood up to leave, I glanced at Gaara. He was staring at me, with his arms crossed.

"Hey, you're that sand shinobi from Ichiraku's!" I turned and looked at the blonde emotionlessly.

"And you're annoying," I stated. The kid froze and Sasuke chuckled. He sounded like Itachi so much. "Don't laugh at your own problems, Sasuke." They all stared at me.

"How do you know my name?"

"It was on your paper." I walked out of the room, right before Gaara.

"Hey wait!" the blonde shouted. I turned and looked at him, Gaara and his team walking behind me.

"What?"

"Where'd you get all those scars?" I almost balked but said something, hopefully, to get him to shut up.

"My entire squad was killed on my last mission." I heard the six of them freeze.

'Those are old scars,' Gaara's voice whispered in my head. Shit. He was drawing connections. I saw the blonde place his hand on his stomach as I felt another presence inside him pull at me. Strange. Only demons did that. Then I remembered Kisami mention something about the Leaf jinjuriki.

"You're Naruto right?" I asked before I knew what I was doing. Damn curiosity. I mentally slapped myself as the kid's face lit up.

"That's me! Uzumaki Naruto! Future Hokage, believe it!" I had to smile at his enthusiasm.

"Good luck, Naruto-kun," I said as I turned and walked away. Gaara's team was still there.... Shit.

"Wait!" I heard Naruto and Sasuke yell. "What's your name?" I ignored them and went back to my apartment. I was relieved to be away from the guys. I mean, sure Kohnan was there, but she was an adult and Pein-sama was all she had.

When I walked in the door of my flat, I instantly took off the headband around my neck. I hated wearing it there. I went into the bathroom and pulled the bandages off my shoulders. Scars of two kanji repeated over and over from my shoulders to my covered chest. Family. Love. It sickened me. It marked me because I had to keep these certain scars covered or I would be recognized.

"Stupid aunt. Stupid uncle. Stupid Hidan," I muttered. I hated them all.

"Calm down, dear child." I turned but no one was there. I drew a kunei and silently crept from the bathroom. No one was here. I closed my eyes and hummed a little tune, and the image confirmed it. I was alone.

"Not quite girly," another voice said. I whirled around, kept my appearance stoic, even though on the inside I was freaking out

"Who's there?" I asked calmly.