I reached the park and looked around for him. I spotted him in a far corner leaning against a big tree and started walking in his direction. He was wearing a parrot green polo tee shirt over grey jeans. And I must say that colour suited him. It made him look so cute!

"Ashley, are you checking me out again?" Raymond said when he saw me.

I cleared my throat and asked him, "Why did you want to meet me?"

"What's the hurry? Come, sit." He sat down on the grass cross-legged. I followed his actions.

"Look." He said pointing his index finger in front of him.

I saw children playing there. Some making castles out of sand, some on the swings and slides, while the others were running about the entire playground. I looked at their happy joyous faces. They didn't have any worries or any problems. They were enjoying. Living life to their fullest.

I turned to face Raymond and saw him smiling down at me.

"You should smile often."

I nodded. I didn't want a discussion over this again.

"So! I wanted to apologise." He said, now looking serious.

"For what?" I asked him.

"Er, for yesterday." He nervously rubbed the back of his neck.

"I didn't mean to react the way I did. You know holding your arm and pulling you and all. I'm really sorry." He added.

"That's okay. I didn't really mind." I assured him.

"Actually, there's a reason." He stared at me. "And I want you to know it."

"Okay." I nodded gesturing him to continue.

"I hate it when someone says the word 'whatever'. I find it really insulting." He said fiddling with his hands.

"That's all?" This was stupid. Really, really stupid.

"No. There's more. I had a sister, Jennifer. She died two years back. She was just crossing the road on her bicycle when a car collided with her and...."

He sighed and buried his face in his hands.

"She had major injuries in her head and the doctors said that they wouldn't be able to save her. After all this, I was broken. I,.. I couldn't think of anything but her. She was my little angel. Mom passed away giving birth to her. I not only saw her as my sister but I also saw my Mom in her." He breathed heavily. His eyes were shut and he swallowed the pain he was feeling now. I rubbed his back trying to sooth him.

Surprisingly, his breaths came out evenly and he looked at me with watery eyes before continuing, "One day, I was just sitting in my room and Dad came in. He told me that he was moving to New York and asked me if I wanted to come along. It was the day of Jenny's funeral. I was agitated with him for being so insensible and insensitive at the same time. We argued for hours about it. He said Jenny was a careless girl and it was all her fault. That was that. He crossed his limits and so did I. I swore at him for being a disgraceful father. After a while he composed himself and just said a word to me before leaving. He said 'Whatever'. He didn't come back for a few days then. I left that house. I didn't want be in the same space as him."

He relaxed once he was done as if some weight had been lifted off his shoulders.

I didn't know what to say. That was a lot to take in.

We sat quietly for a few minutes. But it wasn't awkward. It was somehow peaceful.

"You're really different Ashley." Raymond said.

"What do you mean?" I smiled at him, wonder clearly showing off on my face.

"I find really easy talking to you. It feels great to be around you. Something I don't feel with anyone else." He pinched my cheek and laughed heartily.

I laughed too.

How did he do it?

Control my emotions along with his own?

He was different too.

I wanted to say it aloud but I couldn't – as usual.

"Hey, that redhead you fancy?"

"Abigail." He interrupted me.

"Yeah. I saw her making out with some lad yesterday. In the car park." I said as I remembered it.

"Must be Brown. Ethan Brown." He looked away.

"I haven't seen him around."

"He's in university. Plus, you haven't been here long."

"Who is he anyway?"

"Abi's boyfriend." He said as if stating something obvious.

"She has a boyfriend? And you still want to hit on her?" I asked ridiculously.

"Yeah. I mean, she's hot!" He said with a smirk.

I shook my head in disbelief.

Boys will be boys.

"You're coming to the party tonight?" I don't know why I asked him that.

"Yep. And you?"

"Well, to be honest, I don't want to. But Stace leaves me no choice." I shrugged my shoulders.

He looked at me amused by my answer.

"Ashley, tell me something. Why do you do this?"

"Do what?" Confusion was written all over my face.

"You know, showing that you're so disinterested in life and upset with everything. While in reality, you want to enjoy every bit of it."

Umm, okay. He has left me speechless.

I couldn't answer that question. I didn't want to.

I needed to get away from him before he read what was written inside of me. Before he heard my unspoken words. Before he understood my silence.

I checked my watch. It had been two hours since we were there.

"We should leave. I have plans." I lied.

"You're lying." He waved his hand in front of his face dramatically and smirked.

What?

Seriously now?

I got up and started walking away. I felt him following me but he didn't try to catch me or stop me.

Could he get any more weird?

I reach the mansion with him still walking behind me.

"What? Are you going to follow me to my room now?" I was annoyed with him.

"You wish." He winked at me and went to the apartment just opposite the mansion and stood at its entrance before turning around so that he was facing me.

"I live here. 3rd floor." He said pointing his thumb upward.

Woah! Surprise, surprise!

I rolled my eyes at him and went inside.