Chapter 29.

Alayna Pov

I told Ashton that I was going to see where Luke led me to. He said he understood, but didn't want to see me again. Which I was fine with.

Luke had been great the past few days. Hes been more than helpful with Melody and Violet. They love him, probably more than me.

We all sat on the couch, Violet drifting to sleep in Luke's arms as Melody was passed out in the floor.

"Alayna." Luke whispered trying not to wake the demons. "I'm going to put them to bed and I think we should talk okay?"

I shook my head yes in agreement. He slowly lifted Violet's head up and carried her into her bedroom.

After he took Meldoy upstairs, he sat with me on the couch. His eyes burned into my body, his hand touched the side of my face forcing our eyes to meet.

"Where are we?" He asked, almost as unsure as I was.

"We are everywhere right now Luke. One minute you're the man of my dreams. Caring for our daughters,  comforting me whenever I may need it. Then you sneak off, being really suspicious might I add."

"I'm not using. If thats what you think  and if you think that maybe I should leave." He said jerking his hand away while jumping to his feet.

"I never said that Luke, dont you dare put words into my mouth." I said calmly.

"Oh yeah Layna, then what the fuck did you mean?" He said angrily, as he gripped the root of his hair.

"I meant that I'm scared you're going to be too good to be true, Luke. I-... We can't lose you again okay?" I said standing up as I tried to touch him.

"I love you Alayna and I love our children. I need you to trust me though. I can't stay unless you trust me okay?"

"Okay." I whispered.

He kissed my cheek and smiled warmly at me.

"Look at us, we talked with out fighting." Luke said laughing.

"I know, we are growing up! It's about damn time too." I said laughing.

I felt his hands looping around me, i breathed in his all too familiar scent. I felt complete with him, I wasnt competeing for anything. I was just with him, enjoying each others company.

Luke's Pov.

I had just left Alaynas house. She was finally coming back to me. Slowly, which i understood the hesitation but its been a year.

I felt the vibrating in my pocket.

"Hello?"

"Lukie boy, how are you?" The chilling voice echoed over the line. It was him.

"How did you get this number?"

"Oh sweet boy, you have bigger problems to worry about. Like your debt to me. That is a good start."

"Look fuck off & leave-"

"Not so fast Hemmings. How's that pretty little wifey of yours? Or how about your daughters? How are they doing?"

"Please leave them out of this." I begged him.

"Well pay your debts to me and we can forget the entire thing. If not, well I'm going to pay them a visit."

"Please, I will pay you right now. Where are you?"

"Oh no. Not that simple. You will pay me and leave town."

"I can't leave town."

"Then Alayna's going to be missing out on some serious child support Luke." He said jokingly.

"Okay. Can we make a deal then?"

"I sure we could come go an agreement."

The line went dead. I started making my way towards his house. Once I had arrived I let myself in.

"Hello Luke. How nice of you to join me." His thick accent rang through the air. "I have an idea."

"Okay."

"I have lines of cocaine ready for you. I dont like none drugged up Luke."

"I can't do that to Alayna. Or my children."

"Well if you do this, I wont make you leave town or pay your debts."

"You'll leave them alone?" I asked. Everything inside me was telling me to fight this. I couldn't let him hurt Alayna or my sweet little Melody.  Violet either. How did I get so fucked up? I never meant for any of this to happen. 

"I won't even let their names cross my mind Luke. " He said. 

"Okay then." I sat down at the table with trembling hands. 

...............

Alayna.

It's been hours since Luke left and I haven't heard a word. Melody and Violet were still heavily sleeping while I lied awake. I had this unnerving feeling deep in my gut that something was seriously wrong. I called Luke a few times and no answer. 

I heard light knocks at the door. My heart jumped into my stomach as I turned my head towards the door. 

"Alayna." Ashton breathed out. He was wearing his police uniform, which meant this was strictly business. 

"What's going on Ash?"

"Look at me okay. Luke has been admitted to the hospital for overdosing." Ashton said softly as he rubbed soft circles on my palm. 

"What?" I said as shock was setting in to my body. 

"Luke is in the hospital. He was mixing illegal substances with pain killers and sleeping pills. They are doing everything they can." He said once again. 

I was speechless. I had no words for him. 

"Layna, we are going to drive you and the girls over okay?" He said sweetly. 

I shook my head yes.

"I'll go get them?" He asked. I immediately shook my head yes as I stood there stunned. 

He returned seconds later with Melody and Violet in his arms. He carried them out as I trailed slowly behind him. We sat in the car in complete silence. 

"Ashton, be honest with me." I whispered. "Is Luke going to make it?"

"No Alayna... I wouldn't be bringing you if I thought there was any chance of him being alright." 

I felt the grief over taking my body once again.  It finally reached my eyes as a few lone tears danced down from my eyes. 

This wasn't happening.