Chapter 1

His lips left mine as I sunk into the seat of my car and our smiles don't waver when I shut my door. He takes a couple steps back and waves at me as I pull out of the driveway. I wave back happily, before turning the radio on to a soft hum.

My stomach churns at the thought of the job interview I'm going to. I'm sure that they wouldn't have accepted the thought of meeting with me if a teacher hadn't recommended me. My boyfriend and I go to a school for the gifted and the thought of getting the internship I needed gave me anxiety and joy.

As I drove, a sudden honk made me flinch slightly, before I continued to drive, ignoring other following honks that I know weren't directed to myself.

Things would've been different if I heeded the indirect warning. I don't know what would've happened, just that my life changed forever from that point.

I turned my head slightly to the right to see the incoming car before I was thrown violently. An assortment of plastic bottles, chargers and papers were thrown around, hitting me, but not hurting me as much as my raw screaming throat, and everything else basically, because my car was tipped over, rolling across the four way street.

My car skidded to a stop and the world was ringing, silent except for my heavy breathing and heartbeat in my ear. I wasn't dead, but everything hurt badly. Suddenly, I screamed again as another car, I presume, crashed into the back of my already tipped over and broken vehicle. The window of two of the doors shattered and cut me, the glovebox was smashed and dismantled, but the worst part was that the backseats and trunk were crushed, pushing the back of my seat in. I don't know how I was supposed to scream louder as legs were pushed into a crushing embrace of the wheel and dashboard, the space for my legs were basically nonexistent.

I think I was in too much pain to process the car headed for my cracked windshield as another car was coming right towards me. At this moment, all I could think of was how much it hurt, and the pounding in my head from the car being pushed onto its side after being rolled over, about to crashed into by a third car.

I didn't survive completely.