- Chapter Five -

I guess it was a bit ambitious to expect to be fully recovered, but being room confined for numerous days proved that I was not quite as well re-integrated into society as I had thought. While it was nowhere near being a pleasant experience, at least I had not had to return to school for a little while. I do have to say that I missed my new acquaintances; they seemed to always radiate energy and happiness- except Vera, who radiated sass attitude and the persona of an old grumpy cat lady for a small portion of the time. I can't say I dislike it, she is a certain kind of person, and in the end it grows on you.

As you can tell, I'm obviously vertical and no longer a drawling zombie in one of the fancy duvets that they buy for their children in this house. That is why I receive a room full of shocked faces when I attend breakfast this morning.

"I did think a week was a little extreme for beauty sleep." Ames says with a grin on his face.

"I guess I needed it." I say slurring my speech a little bit with the after effects of heavy sleep.

"Nonsense." Anna-lise says as she makes me a cup of tea and hugs me affectionately for a few second without saying anymore.

This was one of the few times in my life that people had actually shown concern for me, and affection really. I can't say that I mind this either, even if it does make me feel a little uncomfortable with so much personal contact.

"Thank you." I smile in gratitude at this woman, and ask. "What day is it today?"

"Thursday!" Ames announces in, as usual, in the most pompous and ridiculous manner.

"Your burning the toast!" yells Elizabeth at Ames from the other side of the kitchen with her nose upturn and looking thoroughly displeased.

"I'd have to agree dear sister." Ames says attempting to rescue four large black squares that he accidently throws in the air with the realisation that they were actually very hot pieces of scorched bread.

"It just bread." Says Anna-lise to Elizabeth when she starts to complain about her brother's incompetence.

"Are you coming to school today Ivy? Ames asks me as he puts more on.

"Ames!" Annalise scoffs warningly. "Ivy can go back when she's ready."

"Exactly." Says Mr Robinson from the bench where I hadn't seen him. He had been quietly enjoying a game of Sudoku accompanied by a fresh muffin from the bakery around the corner.

"You haven't even given her time to wake up." He continues, "Look at the poor girl, she needs at least a half hour or strong coffee before you interrogate her any further.

"Oh she doesn't mind." Ames says dismissing his father. "Do you Ivy?"

In response I smile at him sweetly and punch him in the arm lightly. And as a result we were entertained for a full five minutes when Ames dropped to the ground and pretended to be a surrendering solider wounded on the field. He was very convincing for the most part.

"I thought they must have returned you." Amy says glancing me over like a foreign object that day at school.

"Do you get refunds for orphans?" her friend snicker beside her as I continues walking past them.

I forget why I thought coming to school today would be a good idea. Perhaps it was more to do with the twenty million times that Ames asked me to go and my will power fading before finally agreeing. Either way, here I am again- the adolescent institution founded by society solely to suck all our strength and originality.