Chapter 10: Feline Reunion

"Master! Someone is approaching the bakery!" Chocola said. "Everyone in battle stances?! Are... You... Ready?!"

"It would be quicker to go forth and capture them. I'll do it well, so leavers to me." Vanilla said.

"Wait, wait, wait. It's only been five minutes since we opened!" The two of them hid by the by the window as if stalking prey. Even though we're finally open, there were, unsurprisingly, no customers waiting to come in. I placed my elbows on the counter while I gazed at the backs of the two catgirls. "It's fine if you wait for the customers to come in before interacting with them. If you brace yourself like that from the start, you'll get tired quickly.

"Vanilla, look! That girl walking over there!" Chocola pointed to a girl walking past. "She looks like someone who really likes sweets!"

"Ohh, sweets! But Chocola, that's not really a nice thing to say." Vanilla pointed out. "You should be careful of saying that in front of customers."

"Not that she can hear you." I added. The two catgirls didn't so much as turn an ear in my direction. Well, to see them that hopeful for customers did pain me a bit as their owner. "Well, since we just started we should be patient--"

"Excuse me." Said a lady who walked in to the bakery.

"M-Meow, w-welcome!!" Both Chocola and Vanilla said to her.

"Hyaaaah? Wh-Wh-What is going on?" She asked.

"W-What would you like to meowrder?" Chocola asked. "Ah, o-our special is that... that thing! Uhm, that! Cake!"

"We also have black tea! Uhm, the warm kind and the cold kind!" Vanilla said. "U-Uhm, the hot kind and uhm, the cold kind!"

"Will you two calm down?" I asked. I pulled them back after they quickly set themselves upon the customer who'd just walked in. "I'm terribly sorry for that. I'm the owner of this bakery, Minaduki. Our menu is over here. Please peruse it at your leisur-- Hmm? Miss?"

"Hrmm, hrmm. Taking into account the location and use of color, this is quite a splendid storefront." Said the lady. "The introspective feel makes for a simple design, while the knick knacks and such create a relaxing atmosphere. How wonderful!" There was an uncharacteristically large pair of glasses that didn't suit her face or build. Then there was her anachronistic Taisho-era mantle and military cap. Finally, there was her grandiose way of speaking, which didn't match the familiar voice. "Hrmm, I've taken a liking to this place! I shall buy every cake you have available! Now then, good sir, you may pack up all the cakes here! Ah, you take credit cards, yes?"

"Uh, Shigure, what are you doing?"

"Ha ha ha! Who is this Shigure. Sir, you must have mistaken me for someone else!"

"Say what you like, but that's your name." I said.

"There's no way a young lass, such a pretty and earnest little sister to her older brother, would grace such a place like this with her presence!" She said. "Very well, I won't pay heed to such rudeness! There's no reason to put a damper on your grand opening, after all!"

"In that case, could you cut the crazy routine?" I asked. "Besides, how did you even know where my bakery is? I didn't tell anyone."

"I-In any case, just scurry along and prepare all the cakes you have! I will pay your asking price! Quickly!" She said.

"What, now you're a robber?" I asked.

"What rudeness to only show deference to certain customers. That attitude might chase away, say, a high-class customer who'd come in everyday at opening and buy you out. When it comes to business, you won't get anywhere if you don't jump at every opportunity to make money! Besides, to see Nii-sama give me such a cold look is making me sad! I'm sad! And after I held back until today to do something to help you too!"