7: Hula Skirts

Chapter 7: Hula Skirts

It was raining today. I was kind of glad, as Florida is mostly sunny. It was getting kind of annoying. The pitter patter sounds of rain drizzling on the window shield sort of calmed me. The sky was over casted with black clouds which made the apartment seem a little gloomy and cold. I turned off all the lights and took a seat on my big couch bringing my feet up close to me and wrapping my arms around it. I took a sip of hot chocolate that I made for myself which made me go all warm and fuzzy inside. Then I took a bite out of the sausage and mushroom lasagna that were the leftovers from last night's dinner. I let out a sigh as the gooey cheese melted in my mouth. Perhaps this is heaven. For the last few days I have been devouring savories and desserts like a mad man because the only thing that can heal a broken heart is food. Right?

I wonder what Audrey is doing at the camp. It's raining there too. I should check on her. I reached out for my phone but before that I stopped myself. Its 2pm and I have called Audrey thrice. At a point, her counselor stopped fetching for her and made her stand beside the phone. I shouldn't disturb her but I couldn't help myself. Since my mom died I took it as a responsibility to take care of my baby sister and protect her from everything no matter what. She's the only person I have in this world except for some distant relatives who drop by to visit us as a fucking formality, not out of concern.

I let out a small sigh as I took another bite out of my lasagna. This is where I belong. The apartment was tranquil and the smell of rain invaded the atmosphere with the faint smell of burned red chilies. Going through the internet, I came across an old method where an online priest advised me that according to Indian cultures, the best way to get rid of a ghost is to burn red chilies and let the smoke produced spread throughout the house. I immediately drove to the store which was a good few blocks away from the house and purchased some chilies from the spice section. I decided to ignore the nearest one as I was still recovering from the Condom incident. I never worked with dried chilies so I didn't know that the smell of chilies will water my eyes and leave me wheezing. But no, the smell did nothing but burn my throat and make that ghost guffaw at my distress even more.

The days were flowing by and Audrey will be back from Camp soon and I still don't know how to get rid of that delinquent ghost. Leaving this house is not an option or else we will become hopeless. Somehow the serene mood was gone and it was replaced by my anguish. I glanced at the watch to see that it's time for me to go to work.

I dragged myself off the couch. Disposing the empty plate and mug into the dish washer I headed to my room to change. I was frantically looking for a job these days and was able to find one in the local area in this place called "Aloha". I was grateful to get a job so quickly as jobs are rare here and we were almost out of money.

I changed into a white t-shirt and dark skinny jeans. I decided to take my jacket as it was cold outside. It didn't take me much time to get down by stair as I lived on the second floor. I looked around to see my blue van parked at the corner. I couldn't afford a fancy car so I got myself a second hand van which I bought from my ex-neighbor in Florida. The engine started with a dull rumble and I drove off to the place.

I stopped my car in front of a small diner. It had a surfboard over its head with the word "Aloha" written over it in a funky font. I was greeted by fake orchid lei over the door as I opened it. The placed looked a little shabby with a few wooden tables and a small bar at the corner fitted in a tiny space. Waitresses dressed in flowery tight shirts and off-white shorts served the customers while some other girls performed some kind of Hawaiian dance in a their leaf hula skirt and coconut bras with a lei on their head. Great! It would be super embarrassing to be hired as one of those Hawaiian show girls. But on the brighter side their faces were covered in plastic fake tribal masks.

I walked to the bar to look for a guy named Santiago whom I presumed is my boss. Upon asking one of the waitresses, I discovered that he was inside his room. After knocking, I opened the door to be greeted by the smell of cigarettes and coffee. Sitting on a office chair was a lanky Hispanic man, unlike his employees he was dressed in a flannel shirt and cargo pants and his hair was sticking out in sharp angles. Santiago looked like he was in his early thirties. I couldn't be sure as I wasn't the best at guessing ages.

"You must be Grace", he said in his thick Mexican accent. He gestured me to take a seat in front of him and I complied.

With a smile on his face, he explained me my work schedule. I decided to take a few extra hours here because there is no harm in earning a little extra. He seemed like a very nice person and made some jokes here and there which made me feel a little less shy. Everything about this job was perfect but I had to work as a show girl at least once a week. I didn't protest much to that because it wasn't that bad as I expected.

"So I will see you tomorrow then". He gave me a warm smile.

I nodded and smiling back at him as I closed the door behind me.

I couldn't help but have a huge grin plastered over my face. I finally got a job and Santiago seemed like a good boss. Though I have to work as a show girl once a week but nothing's perfect right? You need to make a few adjustments and sacrifices too.

But soon the grin was gone as I saw the sight before me. Casey and Rodrick were sitting in one of the wooden tables skimming through the menu as a waitress was waiting for them to order. They are on a date? Looking at their attire it seemed like it. Casey was dressed in jeans and a short sleeved yellow top with ruffles in front of it. I gifted her that top on her last birthday. Rodrick was dressed in his jeans and a green tee with a jacket over it.

All the hurt from few weeks ago came over me. I tore my gaze away from them rushing to the door as tears were threatening to spill out of my eyes. Before I could open the door, Rodrick noticed me.

"Grace" he breathed out. I could see from my peripheral vision that he was approaching me. I should have gone but for some reason my feet were glued to the floor.

I could feel his presence behind me but I didn't turn around. The whole time my eyes were focused on the ground. I hardened my grip on the doorknob and tried to restrain myself from breaking down.

"Grace... I miss you".

I looked up to see Casey sitting on her chair watching us intently. She didn't even try to approach me. Her face was full of concern and guilt.

Following my eyes, Rodrick spoke out. "It's not what you think Grace. I- I can explain".

I rushed out of the door without hearing any explanation.

......................

Hey guys. I finally updated after my exams! Let me know what you think of this chapter! 

Vote. Comment.