“A headache? Did you have the headache before you confronted the boy?”

Great! All that and all she got was that I had a headache.

“Uhm…no I don’t think so.”

“How did this headache feel like?”

“Like any other headache, except it was really strong”

“Do you remember anything else that was unusual?”

“Not really…oh yea my hands were hot, really hot, it’s probably nothing.”

She looked up at Felix for a moment and then back at me.

“So are you running from the cops now?”

“What! No! It was an accident. The case was classified as an accident and the family didn’t want to press charges anyway.”

“Then why did you move here?”

“Well, the people back in Merrickville aren’t really forgiving. They wouldn’t let it go and I would be known as the girl who put that sweet boy in the coma for a long time and so mom thought it would be best for me to stay away for a little while”

She sat there staring at me with a stricken expression frozen on her face.

“Brooke go upstairs and get ready, we’re having a couple of important guests tonight” Felix said

There was an uncomfortable silence for a while. well, until I broke it.

“And I need to be there?”

“Yes, if you’re going to stay here it’s critical that you are properly introduced to everyone in that room. Make sure you look presentable. ” Grandma said eyeing me.

“Y-Yeah, Okay.” I said quickly and then left the room feeling confused.

I stood in the hallway outside the room trying to decide what had just happened.

“Jane, maybe she really is…” I heard Felix say from the other side of the door.

“No! Felix she’s not. Trust me on this; I know what I’m talking about.”

“But yesterday when I brought her in, she… there’s just something about her. Her birth was already a surprise to us all why can’t you…”

“Miss Rivera?” a high pitched voice interrupted me from my prying.

I turned around to see a petite woman wearing a maid’s outfit standing before me.

“Did you need something?”

I blushed, feeling embarrassed that I was caught snooping.

“No, thank you, I’m fine.”

“Well, Mrs. Ortega told me to help you get ready for tonight’s gathering.”

“How many people are going to be here tonight?” I asked

“About two hundred” she replied calmly

Two hundred people? That’s a couple of guests to Felix? Woah! And what did he mean when he said my birth was a surprise? Were dad and mom not expecting to have me? They never seemed unhappy at having me around. And what did Felix think I was? And why did he call my grandma by her first name when everyone else called her Mrs. Ortega. Were they lovers? Okay that’s not even possible. Felix is like in his 30’s and grandma is… old or something. But she didn’t look old. She looked exactly the same way she did 10 years ago.

Before I knew it, I was in my room and little miss high pitched voice was going through my clothes.

“What’s your name?”