Prolouge

The trees swayed in the wind, making it look as if they were dancing. Leaves layered the soft soil. The colors of brown, red, and orange surrounded us.

We were gather on a patch of woods just below a cliff. We could not see what was up there, but there was hope. I knew it.

Small twigs could be the downfall of this. We had to be careful. We couldn't fuck up again. Not again.

The sun was high in the sky, shining down on my reddish-brown coat. The wolves around me were quiet, and spread out. We need something-- anything.

Snap

The sound of a twig breaking sent everyone into overdrive. Their ears perked up, their bodies lay low to the ground. The wind was downhill, allowing the wolves behind me to pick up the scent of a doe.

There is only one. She can't smell you, but that does not mean you get to be clumsy. Be careful. Don't fuck this up, ladies and gents. I growled, sending my thought through the mind link.

Crunch

The sound of an animal's foot on leaves.

Wait. I ordered.

Crunch, snap

More movement. It was now or never.

Go.

With a simple command, the small pack of wolves took off, runing in the shadows. There was barely any sound.

Shaking my coat, I darted up the terrain, leaping up the steep hill that lead to the cliff. I took extra precaution to the sounds I made. We needed this. We wanted this.

Is she spotted? I asked, slinking in the shadows.

Yes, sir. Who attacks? Ace, one of my flankers, asked.

I stalked forward, the wind flowing through my fur.

Ahead, a tall doe stood. She was plump-- too plump. She's pregnant! I thought, my eyes widening.

She stood, her head dipped to the ground, munching peacefully on the green grass beneath her. She was so graceful, so elegant. And she had a child on the way.

No one does. Retreat. I ordered.

Snap

A branch broke, making me snap my head to a line of oaks. No. I thought.

A wolf with black fur stalked forward, his body low to the ground, ears back. The doe was unaware of her stalker. She was still feasting upon the vegetation beneath her.

And then it happened.

The black wolf leapt forward, howling. He caught the mother off guard as he crashed into her. It sent her flying backwards, onto her side.

A cry escaped her, rippling throughout the quiet forest.

STOP! I howled, rage consuming me. This was disturbing the order of things!

Another wolf, a blonde, trailed after the black male. The black wolf nodded to her, pouncing on the large doe.

Countless others followed, listening to the male's silent orders.

One, a brown furred male, was the one to kill her. He sank his fangs into her fragile throat, crushing her windpipe. It took a matter of seconds to end her life, along with her unborn child.

My wolf took over, sensing that it's authority was being tested. Transforming back, I stomped over to the group of wolves, growling.

My fist clenched, the pack parted for me, leading me to the black wolf. He, as did I, transformed back. Before me stood a tall, muscular male. His eyes narrowed, he looked down at me.

"How dare you!" I howled, allowing my wolf to take control.

The male simply laughed, "I just got us dinner. I should be thanked!"

My hand shot out, grabbing a fistful of the other male's hair. He yowled as I pulled him to my level.

"I said not to attack. You disobeyed me! You killed a mother, Dean," my wolf growled. "You should be punished." He snarled.

The wolves around me whimpered, though Dean was the loudest. My wolf was not an alpha, but being a lead hunter had given it the sound of one.

Dean tried to speak, but he couldn't for the life of him.

"When we get back, you're going to tell the alpha what you've done. Disobeying your superior involves a punishment you won't forget." My wolf whispered, malice dripping from his voice.

I was once again in control. Throwing the filth before me back, I stalked off towards the tree line, my pack following me.

Thankfully, I'd brought a pair of shorts with me on this hunting trip. So, once I'd reached the trees, I slipped them on.

I left the pack to bring back the doe, as it wasn't the kill I approved.

-*-

"I'm sorry! I didn't know, I swear!" Dean pleaded.

The woman before him had a look of disgust on her beautiful face.

"Dean Willow, you have brutally murdered a defenseless mother. Hunters, as it says in the pact, swore to never kill any animal that bores a child. You broke this rule." She growled.

The entire pack gathered around the scene, whispers floating among them. We were gathered in the large gymnasium, awaiting the male's punishment.

"And," the alpha began, "you disobeyed your leader! You deliberately defied him! Would you defy me?" She asked.

The male shook his head violently, tears spilling from his eyes.

"Then you do not disobey Eitan. None of the other hunters do. You lead the others to defy him, Dean! You rebelled against him!" She snarled, wrapping a hand around his throat.

He winced, not daring to look her in the eyes.

The crowd gasped, some screamed.

"I'm-"

"I do not have the time to hear your filthy speech!" She howled.

She threw him backwards, panting. "Eitan, this is your follower. Punish him how you will." And with that, the alpha strode out of the large room, leaving her pack to gossip.

All eyes turned to me as I stood above the quivering mess of a man. His black hair fell in his face, tears soaked his filthy face.

I crouched down to his level, grabbing his chin. Forcing him to look me in the eyes, I saw the remorse that shined in his brown orbs.

"Dean," I whispered, pushing my wolf back. "Do not disobey me again. Or else I will kick the shit out of you."

Crack!

The sound of my hand making contact with his eye sounded throughout the room. I shook my hand, glaring down at the heap on the ground.

Shaking my head, I walked slowly out of the room, the pack's eyes boring into my back.

I hope this small bit satisfies you. Give me some feedback.