Evil Lives

It had been a few days since the party not much had happened to the islands sinister citizens. Well all except for the daughter of a certain dark fairy.
     The night she returned from the party she found that a certain raven had returned, perched on her mother's shoulders. Diablo. Maleficent's first and only friend. When her fate was decided to be spent on the awful island prison, the good fairies instead, turned Diablo to stone.
     He informed his mistress that he had seen the Dragon's Eye spark to life. So of course Maleficent, not wanting to get her hands dirty, enlisted her daughter to retrieve her scepter. The only thing possibly powerful enough to break through the dome and end all of the villain's imprisonment.
     But, there was a catch. The Dragon's eye was cursed. Anyone who touched it would immediately fall asleep for a thousand years. Mal knew that when she found the scepter, where ever it was, she would have to take care not to touch it. And then to figure out a way to somehow bring it back without awakening the curse.
     Mal sighed, thinking of her talk with Jay the previous night.
     She had been sitting out on the balcony looking out across the entire island and to the shining spires of Auradon which glimmered in the distance.
    "You left before the fun really began," he said, meaning the party."We turned the ballroom into a mosh pit and crowd surfed." He joined her on the balcony, a bag of smelly cheese curls in hand.   "So, what's with the rude raven?" he asked, chomping nosily on the snack.
     "That's Diablo. You know, my mom's old familiar. He's back."
     Jay stopped chewing. "He's what?"
     "He's back. He got unfrozen. So now mom thinks the spell over the island might be unraveling somehow."
     Jay's eyes grew wide.
     Mal looked away and continued, "That's not all. Diablo swears the Dragon's Eye is back too. That he saw it glow back to life. You know, her scepter, her greatest the one thing that controls all the forces of evil and darkness, blah blah blah. She wants me to find, and use it to break the curse over the island."
     Jay let out a loud laugh. "Well, she's truly gone off the cliff into the deep end to take a swim with the killer alligators, then, hasn't she? That thing is hidden forever and ever, and ever and ever and—"
     "Ever?"Mal smirked.
    "Exactly."
     Mal turned away, wanting to change the subject. "Do you ever think about what it's like over there?" she asked, nodding towards Auradon.
     Jay scoffed. "Yeah, horrible. Sunny, and happy, and... horrible. I thank my lucky stars that I'm not over there."
    "Yeah, I know. But I mean—you never get sick of this place, like you want a change?" she asked,
Jay looked at her quizzically.
     "Never mind." Mal didn't think he would understand. She continued staring into the night. Jay continued munching on his cheese curls and fiddling with some newly stolen costume jewelry.
After awhile of thinking Mal finally spoke. "We have to find it," she said to Jay as an icy wind whipped up from the sea below. "The Dragon's Eye. It's here."
     "Mal, it's not poss—"
     "We have to," Mal said.
     "Eh," Jay replied shrugging her shoulders, turning toward the window to go back inside. "We'll see."

***     Maybe Jay was right. Maybe this whole quest was too silly to even embark on. She didn't know where to begin to find her mother's lost weapon, no matter how powerful it once had been. Besides it wasn't as if anything Mal could do would change how her mother saw her. Even if she did succeed in finding the Dragon's Eye, Mal knew she couldn't help who her father had been and in the end that was what Maleficent could never forgive or forget.