Peace, Smiles & Cotton Candy 2

Wow!! :D I just want to thank everyone for their response to the first chapter! I honestly didn't think it would be that successful. You're all awesome! XD

It wasn't until I uploaded chapter 1 that I realised it was actually really short! :o So I've tried to make this one a little bit longer, by letting my blabbing monster run loose. I have a habit of doing that (obviously, :P) so if it ever gets too much, just let me know! :]

As for the cliche-ness of the last chapter, ohohoho. Yes, it was like that for a reason. ;)

Haha, enjoy! <3

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

"Mum, I'm home!" I called out, stepping through the front door. As soon as I was inside the house, I hastily shut the door behind me and rested my back on the wall. "It's so warm in here!" I cried out happily, to no one in particular.

After leaning against the wall for a few more seconds, I sighed and continued making my way towards the staircase. "Mum?" I repeated, "Are you here?" When I got no response, I sighed again. She must have been asleep.

Unfortunately, Mum had been sick with the flu for a few weeks now. It wasn't too bad; but then again, I guess I wouldn't know. She hadn't come out of her room for at least four days. She'd been off work, meaning most of our money was coming from my paychecks, but I didn't mind. Working as the supervisor at the cinema downtown gave me plenty of cash to spare.

The further I walked down the hallway, the more I realised I was dripping water onto the floorboards. Even though I had dried off in the boat cabin overnight, it had still been raining this morning, meaning I was once again soaked after riding home on my motorbike. I had sort of been expecting Sam to offer me a ride in his car, but unfortunately, he never did.

I glanced around me, making sure I was definitely alone, then I pulled Sam's jersey up over my head and dropped it on a small table at the end of the hallway. I ran upstairs quickly, taking two steps at a time, until I reached the top floor and hurried into my room. I felt safer in there for some reason, especially since every other room seemed strangely empty.

After searching through my drawers, I pulled out a pair of black jeans and a cute blue tee shirt. They weren't the most attractive clothes I owned, but I didn't mind. It's not like I planned on going out today, anyway. After getting changed and pulling on some fluffy brown ugg boots, I sighed and made my way back down the stairs. Even though my bed was calling me ― I desperately needed a sleep without a madly rocking floor ― my stomach was calling louder, and I was dying for something to eat.

The kitchen was only a short walk from the staircase, and I was lucky enough to get there without falling over tiredly. However, when I opened my pantry cupboard and saw hundreds of tins of dog food on the bottom shelf, I snapped awake instantly. "Cupcakes!" I gasped.

I turned on my heels and ran back down the hallway, skidding to a halt at the open laundry door. "Hello?" I whispered, looking around the small room for Cupcakes, my Labrador. "You here, buddy?" A few silent seconds passed, and I was just about to give up and leave, when I heard an almost inaudible sound coming from the cupboard on the far wall.

I raised an eyebrow and walked closer to the pale blue cupboard, making sure that my steps were as quiet as possible. Once I reached the tall doors, I stopped walking and wrapped my fingers around the wooden handle. Instead of opening the door, though, I simply tapped on it lightly with my fingernails. It took a few seconds, but finally, a quiet bark came from the other side of the door.

"Come on out, you labra-doofus," I smiled, casually crossing my arms over my chest and leaning against the wall to my left. My eyes made their way down to the side of the cupboard, where I watched as a hesitant Cupcakes crawled out of a plastic doggy door in the thick wood. "Why were you in there, buddy?" I sighed. I bent down and ran my fingers through his soft fur, earning myself a small lick on the hand. "You haven't been in there since you were little." He looked up at me, almost apologetically, and I stared at his face curiously.