15. Making a Deal with the Demon Spawn

Start from the beginning

My mouth went dry as I tried to think of an excuse.

Will must've noticed my visible conflict so he just raised a finger to his lips and did a silent shh sign.

"My phone was on silent," I replied, sounding unsure myself about the flimsy excuse.

"And Douglas' too I suppose?" He asked. "I've been trying to call him for the past half an hour and he hasn't been picking up. Is everything okay?"

I laughed trying to play it off. "He's just into the game."

"Can you give him the phone please? I need to discuss something with him."

Shit!

I looked to Will with worry. How the hell is this going to work?

Will gave me an assuring smile as he held a hand up for my phone.

With a silent prayer whilst being resigned to my fate, I handed over the phone to Will.

He grabbed it and with a deep breath he spoke into the phone, "What is it?"

Surprisingly, I was left stunned when instead of sounding like himself, Will sounded almost like Douglas. Douglas with no hint of arrogance.

"Yes, yes." He nodded as he conversed with Mr Burns for a couple more minutes. "I thought I made myself clear on that. Okay, fine. See you then." Then he hung up.

"So?"

"He bought it, obviously."

I released a breath I had been holding without thinking. "Are you sure?"

"Crystal clear sure," he replied before he pulled open the door to the Camaro and nodded for me to get in.

"What are you doing?" I asked confused. I still wanted to watch the sea and also find out what would happen to the poor seagull being attacked by the others.

This time Will looked back at me with a guilty smile. "You see, I might have been a little too convincing to my uncle. He's on his way to the house right now for Douglas to sign some paperwork on sensitive matters. And I don't think he would be too appreciative of our little white lie."

I hold back a giggle as I start to mentally him Little White Lies by One Direction. "What?"

"My uncle is on his way to the mansion right now. So unless you want to be caught, we need to get going right now and somehow convince Douglas to play along."

"This isn't one of your little jokes, right?" I was undeniably a little torn. What if this one of his jokes?

"No, Krystal. So I suggest you get your pretty little behind into the car right now or we're both dead."

Maybe it was his serious expression or the fact that he was standing far too close for comfort, but I didn't put up a fight and got into the car.

Seconds later, Will was behind the wheel and speeding down the highway.

"Roughly what are the chances of us convincing Douglas to go along with this?" I asked Will three minutes later with his speed reaching 100km/hr. Somehow I felt safer with Will than Douglas when speeding. 

For one, as long as I've known him (which wasn't long) he didn't seem like the type to like to smash up sports cars every other day. Two, I actually trusted that he cared about my well-being considering he had waited until I had my seat-belt on before he drove. And three, I liked Will better than I liked Douglas, which was not that impressive considering I couldn't stand the latter, but still it contributed to my sense of safety.