"What's your name?"

        I look back at him, realizing he was still watching me, waiting. He's still wearing his bright smile and I feel myself blush.

       "Emmaline." My voice is small. I look at the teacher who is now walking in.

       "Mines Adam, where did you move from?"

        Where I was from, I blended in. No one spoke to me for obvious reasons. I was nicknamed the "mute girl"; I doubt anyone knew my actual name. It wasn't a decision of mine to be known as the girl who never talked, but my lack of ability to maintain small talk didn't help me in making friends. I didn't mind it, as I lost myself in books. Maybe because I was the new girl in this almost nonexistent senior class, people would attempt to talk to me.

         Another bell rings, bringing me out of my thoughts. I realize Adam is waiting for my answer—I probably appear mentally impaired now. I clear my throat, hoping to sound more than a mouse.

        "Chicago," I stutter, unsure what else to say.

        "So you're a city girl?" He presses with a grin on his face.

        "Emmaline, would you like to introduce yourself?" The teacher is glaring at me and the class abruptly grows quiet, silent. Pairs of curious eyes were watching me in every direction. A few small whispers begin as I hesitantly stand up. My worst fear staring me in the face—public speaking. Speaking at all seemed like a fear of mine in usual, as it was proving itself to be.

        "Tell us about yourself," She says bluntly. It was obvious she lacked human emotions.

         I keep my eyes down, biting my lower lip, afraid of meeting a pair of eyes. The healing scabs ripping open one at a time. I can feel my face burning from embarrassment.

        "My n-name is Emma and I-I just moved here from Chicago." I say quietly, my eyes never leave the desk sitting in front of me.

         "Aren't city girls supposed to be hot?" A guy interjects to the left of me. I quickly sit back down as everyone laughs.

         "D-D-Dummaline," The boy next to him adds. The roar of laughter increases, hurting my ears.

         "That's enough, quiet down," The teacher yells over the laughter.

          I continue to look down, avoiding any eye contact. I hear the boy whispering something to his friends. They laugh at what he must've said. I already want to go home.

         "Don't mind them, I'm lucky to even be talking to you."

          I give Adam a small smile in response, grateful for my new friend.

          Class drags on and I'm more than happy when it's finally over. Slipping my bag over my shoulder, I make my way towards the door.

        "Hey, wait up!"

         I stop, and turn hesitantly to the familiar voice. My eyes meet Adam's returned smile—Maybe we would be more than class acquaintances.

        "What's your next class?"

        I bite my lip and dig out the paper out of my bag. My eyes skim over the small lettering, and I point it out to him.

        His smile widens, showing his teeth, when he reads the answer.

        "Government, I have that next too!"

          I can't help reflect his enthusiasm with a small smile. I couldn't refuse, and I didn't know where the class was. I'd been planning on roaming the hall panicky, darting from each number on the wall until I found it.