14. The Extended Bathroom Break

Start from the beginning

I grabbed a pen and wrote a note on the memo pad before sticking it onto the fridge with a Sponge Bob magnet. I'm sorry.

* * *

Two hours later and I'm sitting on the floor at the Burns Mansion with Prince's head on my lap as Douglas, Dylan , Evan and Will are deeply engrossed in the game between the West side Falcons and the East side Tigers. A game of football from LA's very own regional best.

I didn't see the appeal of spending a Saturday getting lost in a game of two teams who had a less than 10% probability of its members making it big. I would have joined along if it was the NFL Premiere League game but no, here I was babysitting a dog while they watched the game.

The dog by the way had surprisingly been nice to me as soon as I got here. With Douglas lost in the game we had somewhat bonded after I gave him an Americano.

So this was how I was spending my Saturday. In summer, might I add. The time of the year where you went out to the beach, partied and kissed as many random boys as you can.

I groaned as Prince shifted and placed even more of his weight on my legs.

"Prince, no," I chastised under my breath as I try to lift him off. Instead of successfully removing him, he placed even more of his body on me.

"Priiince." I wouldn't be surprised if by the time the guys noticed I was even in the room, I would have been crushed to death by the great dog.

Feeling someone's eyes on me I look up.

"Are you okay?" Will mouthed to me as he watched me with worry etched into his face.

I nodded. "Just bored," I whispered, hoping no one else heard me. Luckily everyone else was too invested in the game to notice.

Will nodded before getting up.

"Where you going?" Douglas asked, his eyes still on the screen as he grabbed some cheetos from the bowl in front of him.

"Bathroom break," Will replied.

But instead of heading out of the door and going to the bathroom, he walked over and lifted Prince easily off of me and rubbed his head.

I stared as the dog rolled over playfully and looked at him as if asking for more.

"Sorry bud," Will whispered. "Ladies first." Then he offered me a hand.

I stared at it cautiously.

"You place your hand on it," Will said, a smile forming on his face at my hesitation.

I placed my hand on his as he said and he encircled his fingers around mine and tugged me to my feet. Then with a small glance at the other three very preoccupied with the game, he pulled me out of the room and out of the house.

"What are you doing?" I asked him when he pulled out car keys and unlocked the Camaro that looked strangely like the one Douglas had been driving yesterday.

He pulled open the passenger seat door for me. "You said you were bored."

"And?"

"Were going for a drive, duh." He nodded towards the open door and said, "Get in Krystal. I ain't getting any younger over here."

Without saying anything I got in. He closed the door behind me and walked around to his seat.

"What about Douglas? I'm supposed to be with him at all times."

"He won't even noticed you're gone," he gave me one of those signature 'don't worry' smiles as he starts the car. "Nothing gets between Dougie and his football. Trust me."

"And if he notices?"

"You get to tell me I told you so?"

I frowned at his proposition. "You buy me a monster burger."

He smiles. "And how exactly am I going to accomplish that? It is all the way across the country."

I shrug. "That's your problem, not mine."

He nodded. "Fine. But I'm telling you. Dougie won't notice a thing." And with a confident smile he pulled out of the parking spot and drove us out of the estate.

* * *

First we drove to a cliff twenty minutes away he claimed he only knew of. By now, I didn't know whether to believe him or not. Will always liked jokes.

There we could see the endless sea, waves crashing against the rocks violently yet at the same time looking like they were performing a graceful dance that no one knew the steps to.

"Boredom gone?" Will asked as we stood leaning against the Camaro and taking in the marvelous view.

I simply nodded as I watched a group of seagulls fighting on the rocks below. The smallest one was being pummeled by the bigger ones. Bullies.

"At least I got to keep my promise."

I looked at him questioningly.

"This is no water park, I guess," he smiled at me, "but it'll do, right?" He stared ta me, waiting for my reaction.

I smiled remembering that we were supposed to have gone to the water park today, until I canceled on him because Douglas told me to. And those so called plans he had claimed on Wednesday was watching the game. Asshole.

"What are you thinking?" He asked after moments of silence.

"How much of an asshole your cousin is."

He chuckled at my words before he sighed. "He is, isn't he?"

Not expecting him to say that, I burst out laughing.

He shrugged. "Hey, he's my cousin but I'm not completely stupid to his character." He paused as if pondering on whether to continue. "But he's totally not all bad, y'know."

I arched a brow as if saying 'Really?'

"Seriously. I mean, he accepted me and made me feel like part of the family. I owe him everything. I wasn't always this awesome." He smirked.

I rolled my eyes.

"I was in a dark place before and Douglas helped me back."

I scoffed at the idea. "I find that hard to believe."

He sighed. "He's always been there for me. The Douglas you know now, he's..." he turned away, his eyes on the warring seas as he continued, "different. He has had to go through some things that no one his age should have gone through."

"Like what?" I asked, curious.

He sighed as he turned to face me, this time his eyes closed off. "Its not my story to tell. Don't even think about asking Douglas or you'll see him pissed."

"He already has the attitude of an animal, how bad can it get?"

He simply shrugs and that makes me fear for my life. How bad can he get, right?

Just as I'm about to ask where were going next my phone rings.

I pull it out and my heart nearly stops.

Mr Burns was calling me.