13. Unexpected Reactions

Start from the beginning

He nodded. "Its not everyday you see a fine specimen like me," he explained as he leaned forward and placed his hands on the countertop. "I expected a little staring just not that." He looked down at the gross splatter of undigested food.

Were we actually have a sane conversation right now? Albeit a 'increase his ego' type of conversation but an actual conversation where we were not thinking of each other being a nuisance?

I smiled slightly at the thought. Maybe this summer job isn't insufferable after all.

"Now," he continued, "since you finished all of that." He stared at the half-eaten food on my plate. "Why don't we take a little jog around to loose someone of those love handles." He flashed me a smile that told me I should be thanking him.

Correction. This job will always be insufferable.

"Are you insinuating that I'm fat?" My smile slipped away replaced with a frown. No girl liked to be called fat. I was definitely not runway model thing, but I had curves I was somewhat proud of, at least until Mr A-Hole said that.

"As I am handsome," he replied. He stood up straight and grabbed an apple from the plate in front of me. "You don't have any running gear, do you?"

"What?" The question caught me off-guard.

"Running gear. You got any?" I was just about to nod at the thought of my running shoes from track in high school when he held up a hand. "Forget it. We're going to go get you some as soon as I get some coffee in my system." He reached over for the remaining Americano and smiled. "Well, at least you can do this right."

As if he hadn't just insulted me several times in the span of two minutes and steal my coffee too, he walked off without another word, guilt free.

Why that over-privileged pompous-

"Krystal," he popped his head back into the kitchen.

"Yeah?"

"We have plans on Saturday. Tell Will you're cancelling."

-ass!

I guess I should probably clean up that goo now.

* * *

"I can't do this!" I snapped as I plopped down on the sofa two days later as my body just shut down. "I give up!"

"What happened, darling?" Nancy asked as she walked over and said down next to me, her 'Kiss the Cook' apron tied over her black blouse.

"Douglas!" I groaned as I thought of the insufferable ass.

"What happened this time?" She asked, an amused smile on her face.

"He had us run twelve miles today. Twelve miles!" I let out a groan as I placed my feet on the coffee table in front of me.

"I'm sure you're exaggerating darling," She shoves my feet of the coffee table and wipes it down with the cloth in her hand.

"Exaggerating? Tell that to my leg. Do you see my blisters?" I showed her my sock-clad leg.

She cringes her nose and she pushes my feet out of her face. "No. All I can smell is that you need a shower before dinner."

"Nancyyyy." I dragged her name out as I frown at her. "I need you to call Mr Burns right now and tell him you think this job is not for me."

She mirrors my face, a frown on hers now. "Why should I do that? Why can't you?"

"Because you're the bestest person ever and you love me." I show her a pout. This has got to work.

"And because you're scared of him?"

I nodded guiltily. Dang it! She saw through it.

She sighs. "Okay, fine."

Yes!

She adds, "But I never took you to be a quitter Krys."

I hold up a hand as I sensed where this was going. "Oh no. This is not a movie or book where that line is going to convince me to keep following that lunatic around. Do you know what he made me do yesterday?" I was so over the guy, not in the into him sense, but the whole knowing him sense. "He made me run to Starbucks because dear Prince wanted to drink Americano. Like what dog drinks Americano?"

Nancy doesn't say a word, her face decorated with an amused smile.

I continued undeterred. "Prince as it turns out! Apparently he won't drink water, only that's stuff. I'm telling you that little monster is a caffeine addict. I think he needs to go to those AA meetings. I really do and drag his pompous owner along with him because that guy needs more help than him. He is addicted to making my life hell. And it hasn't even been one week yet since I started doing this. I don't know how I'm going to survive this summer."

"But this is a great experience, Krys."

"How is following a spoiled, ungrateful jerk who deals out insults like he breathes in air, a great experience?"

She shrugs. "I think you can both learn from each other during the summer."

"Oh noooooo," Me learn from him? "I have no desire to become a bitch. Thank you very much, but he can keep his lessons to himself."

Nancy sighs as if this was frustrating her. "Give the kid a chance, Krys. Everyone have their reasons."

I roll my eyes as if that statement was bull crap. "So I take it you're not calling Mr Burns."

"What do you think?"

I got up from my seat and start towards my room. "I think I'm gonna skip dinner."