"You seem alone. I could be helpful."

"Yes, you could if you would go away."

Of course he didn't. He wanted to get on my nerves. I was expecting that he will start bullying me… but he didn't. Instead, he sat near me on the bench, placed outside the school yard.

For five seconds the silence was kept. Then I felt my mouth moving and saying...

"What happened between you and Adam? He told me you were good friends."

He hesitated for a moment.

"Nothing important. I decided to take a break. During the period we were...talking, I couldn't find anything in common, but the fact we were both smart. Also, he has some secrets and when I found them out I decided it's the end. I didn't want to deal with him anymore because it seemed it was too much. He just lied..."

He sighed and looked away in the air, then let his head in the ground.

"So, I thought that is better to forget everything and become a new person. Said and done! I got rid of my old life and became popular." He released a muffled sound, making it a laugh. "I'm not a bad guy, but, you know the kids. I need a reputation in this school."

"You already made it. You can't lose it again. Though, I wanted to ask you if you could talk to Adam. I know he is sad and he hasn't got the opportunity to apologize yet. Maybe you could fix everything."

"I'm sorry Andi. I won't do that even if I can 'cause, whatever Adam hides, it's better not to know it. It's safer and it's not my business. I don't want to get involved. And it's true that I know some things but please don't ever ask me about them ok? At least I promised him I won't tell anyone only if we quit being friends. We both know it's better like this."

He stood up, ready to leave but I grabbed him and asked...

"No! Don't...leave."

"I don't want to but it's late. Come!"

"Oh, alright then."

I grabbed my bag fast and followed him. Few moments later, while we were entering the hall, Adam was leaning on a wall right in front of us and throwing me harsh glances.

James waved and walked away and so did I. But I shouldn't have. I was sure Adam was furious and we were going to argue. My mistake...

"Andi, what was on your mind?!"

"Not here, Adam."

"Right! We'll talk about it home. Gosh..."

He ran his hand through his hair, grabbed his bag and pulled me out of the school lending me my jacket.

The whole way home was quiet. None of us was strong enough to say a word. But after we arrived home...

"We're home! Now split everything."

"I have nothing to say. If you don't want to talk to James, that doesn't mean I’m supposed to stay away from him. You have your own problems. James told me he doesn't want be involved in this. And I want you to explain me what "this" means because and I’m sure this isn't about just… common stuff. What's going on?"

"Firstly, you are not allowed to talk to James anymore..."

"You can't tell me what to do! Who do you think you are, Adam?! In fact why don't you really tell me who you really are and why do you keep from me?

"I don't need to tell you everything okay? I don't have to clarify the things in front of you. Friends don't ask that! Friends trust each other!"

"Trust needs to be earned. And don't tell me about trust okay? You're the one who lied me all this time and I’m sick of it. I'm sick of secrets and strangers and lies and things that kept happening all this time. I'm tired of running and protecting myself 'cause I have no one left in my life. I have questions waiting for answers that probably no one's going to tell me. My father's gone, I’m captive in this old house, living with a guy that keeps lying to me and I have no way out!"

"I'm sorry..."

"Spare me... I'm tired."

I was angry about the whole situation. I thought to call Patrick, but obviously I could explode at the phone and scare him. I wanted to clarify everything calmly and slowly: to get ready, to pack and to wait for an adult to deal with everything.

As I was laying in the bed, the phone called. I didn't look at the number. I couldn't recognize it so I answered anyway. It was James. I didn't know how to respond, to greet him. I said I could explode if someone pisses me off, especially James. But I kept calm and said...

"Hey, James!" My voice was hoarse and tired. It sounded like an old machine woke up to life after a long break.

“You don't sound that well. Is there something wrong?"

Not specific to James to worry or to care, but let's play by his rules.

"I'm fine, just tired, long day."

"Is your bodyguard hanging on your hand and you can't talk?"

"No James! Adam is not here."

"You had a fight. Am I right?"

He knows everything I do. And how does he know my phone number?

"James, I’m not in the mood to discuss drama. I just want everything to be quiet now. Why did you call?"

"I wanted to ask you something but... If you're feeling bad, I'll tell you tomorrow."

"No! Just ask me. One thought over thousands means nothing."

"Well, on Friday night is the City Celebration Party at the school and if you're available, I wanted to ask you if you want to join me. How's that?"

"I know... Adam's not coming… so I will!" I said excited.

"Perfect! Thanks. I'll pick you at 8 p.m., alright?"

"See you then. Goodnight."

''Goodnight, Andrea."

After hanging up the phone, I felt really stupid. I realized that over all my life and death situations I could still manage to let myself be an ordinary teenage girl, picked up by her partner on the way to the lamest prom of the year, surrounded by the same old, idiotic pairs of people balancing on the dance floor, soaked in sweat and alcohol, ready to get as laid as they could.

Hopefully, that night, I could have been one of them.