1523 Eltham Palace (Edited)

Start from the beginning

Joan turns to stare at my face in horror. She grabs my arm, tightly dragging me through our chamber door. "You told her what you are here to do?" she whispers, her words forced.

I flinch from the venom which drips from her words. "She already knew. I told her nothing till I was certain. And I am certain," I say back.

Joan hisses at my words, shaking her head in worry before moving away to the window. I look at Anne,—who has followed us in—my eyebrow raised. "You could have been a bit more tactful," I say with reproach in my voice.

She smiles at me and takes my hand in hers. "We are family. There is no need to be tactful, for we will always forgive each other," she says with certainty.

I shake my head, though I can not help but return the smile. "I swear you will be the death of me," I laugh.

"I will leave you and your sister to get adjusted. I will meet you later on at the banquet tonight. We have much celebrating to do. I think now—now that Mary is with the King's child—our tasks may now be finished," she says with a blush to her cheeks.

I nod at her words. I had not thought about it in that light before. Mary might already be carrying the promised child. I will no longer be needed to fulfill that promise to my Lady Mother. I might now hold my own destiny and path in life.

* * *

We all line up behind Queen Katherine, then make our way into the hall. We make our way to our own table and wait for the food to be sent over. Anne takes a seat opposite me with Mary, while Joan sits beside me.

I can not help but stare at Mary; she is a comely thing. Sweet- and innocent-looking, pale cream skin and lovely blonde locks. She and Anne are opposites in manner and looks. I glance towards her stomach but the evidence of her babe is not present.

She eats and drinks little. I wonder if her pale complexion is her natural colour or if, perhaps, she is suffering from a sickness, as a lot of pregnant woman do. Anne calls me to attention and I blush at being caught staring.

I look towards the King and Queen and notice how he glances—every now and again—towards his precious Mary. Does he know of her situation yet?

"Music," the King calls.

Anne smiles at me. The king could possibly be unaware of his mistress's pregnancy. I look towards Joan, and she nods her head in assent. She had been distant with me ever since she learned that I had shared details with Anne. We make our way to the center of the floor, where we are both offered the hand of a courtier. The dance—a Pavane—is easy. It involves simple steps, and allows my mind to roam freely without thinking too much.

The dance finishes and I can hear the musicians begin to warm up for a Courant—a French piece—and I grin in excitement. I find a familiar grip on my hand. I turn and smile at my brother Philip.

"May I have this dance, sweet sister? You will find no one better suited to keep up with you for this dance." He pulls me into the starting position.

"I do not remember you being the most skilled dancer," I mock.

He feigns hurt. "I might surprise you, sister."

Together we dance our way through the familiar steps, laughing as we do so. When the music ends, we applaud before moving to the side for wine—to quench our thirst. "I am sorry that I have not seen you much, sister," he says.

"It is fine, brother. I have found a friend—Mistress Boleyn," I say.

He grins at me. "They are good to be friends with right now . . . especially considering her sister's situation."

"Does the King know?" I ask.

"Know what?" Philip winks.

"You know what I am referring to. Her sister's pregnancy."

"What a gossiping courtier you are, dear sister! You clearly have your sources. People are not meant to know about this," he says.

"You know, and Anne is my friend so of course, I have heard," I whisper.

He laughs at my words. "The King has been told. He is joyous, but also worried for these are the first stages of her pregnancy, everyone will find out soon enough." Then his face shifts into a less earnest expression. "You look very beautiful tonight, sister. Have you had any men seek your favour yet?"

I take a gulp of wine at his words. "My mind has been occupied on other thoughts. The season's celebrations might change the way of the wind though," I say sweetly.

He looks at me appreciatively. "You will only get older, Kat. I am sure mother will be thrilled if you catch yourself a husband here at court." I mumble a reply from my cup. "And you never know, the King will be needing a new mistress soon when Mary gets close to her time."

I start to cough on my wine. I look up at him through watery eyes. "A husband would be more appropriate."

He laughs at my expression. "We will see, sister. I have already seen his eyes look on you appreciatively."

I frown at his words. "Do not lie to me brother, he already has his mistress," I whisper.

"He will not bed her now. He is a man and his needs will need to be fulfilled." He grabs my wine, then pulls me towards the centre for another dance, this time bringing me close to the front of the dais, closer to the King and his ageing Queen.

*****