02.

it was nine when amelia woke up and felt lukes arms wrapped tightly around her torso. she inhaled the smell wafting off of him, but soon realized what she was doing and wiggled her way out of his grip. 

she wasn't about to wake him up, no. he needed his sleep. it would be wrong of her to wake him up when she strictly told him to rest. 

she tip-toed her way down the steps, the eerie creeks echoing throughout the house. 

on the table held the mail. the mail she had told her parents to ignore for the past few days. it was letters from colleges and universities, and she wasn't going to open any until luke got one so they could do it together. 

she sighed as she passed it, glancing at the stack ever so slightly.

but something pulled her back as she grabbed a chair and picked up one envelope. an envelope that has been taunting her since it made its way to the pile.

it was from harvard. one of those 'smart' schools in america luke was talking about the night before. she remembered not wanting to apply for it, scared of what would happen, but luke wouldn't listen and did it behind her back. 

now her hands shook like it was a cold winter day as she held the envelope in her pale hands. she wanted to open it. she wanted to open it so bad. harvard was an amazing school, and she wanted to know that she was good enough. 

but if she was meant to open it, the life she knew now would might as well be gone. 

she would lose luke, her parents, her everything. 

but she knew if she got into this school, she would go. yeah, she didn't want to unless her life in sydney could follow behind her, but luke would make her. luke would do anything to make her go.

and she didn't understand why. 

maybe he hated her, wanted to get rid of her. shes too nice, too boring, too smart, too strict.

or maybe he just cared about her and her future so much that he would give up their friendship for such a meanigless thing like school.

amelia didn't understand, and she was too deep in thought to notice the sleep deprived boy standing behind her, counting on the chairs spine for support. 

"they sent you a letter." luke said, his voice raspy from sleep. 

amelias heart sped up and her muscles stiffened, but she soon realized who it was. 

"i didn't know you were awake." she mumbled, setting the envelope down.

"well, aren't you going to open it?" luke asked, ignoring her last comment. 

"you weren't supposed to see it." amelia shook her head.

"why?" 

"because if i get accepted, then im going to have to go and ill leave you and i dont think ill be able to be away from you so long." she explained, resting her head between her arms. 

"then ill come with you." luke said as if he resloved the problem. 

amelia laughed a little, tears forming in the creases of her eyes. "its not that easy, luke. you would have to find a school in america that would be in massachusetts thats not shitty and would give you proper education." 

"i dont care about my education as long as your happy. now open it." he demanded. 

"luke.." amelia looked at him with a nervous tone clear in her voice. 

"amelia.." luke answered with a tone as if he was talking to a child who did something wrong. 

the girl sighed, and her hands continued shaking as she lifted the letter back up.