Chapter 17

I turned around hesitantly in the direction of the voice and saw a lady with a green scarf. My eyes drifted down towards her hands that were full with groceries.

"Who are you looking for?" Her voice was so soft and gentle as she approached the place where I stood.

I pointed my finger towards the door and muttered, without answering her question. "I-uh, I just uh, you live here?"

She gave a weak smile and a soft "yes'. There was silence between us for a quick glimpse. Eventually our conversation started up again with another question and this time from her. "And you are?"

At that moment, I couldn't find the right words to explain about my situation. I was afraid of her reactions when she found out who I really was. She might hate me for what Jake had gone through in his life without his family and his only sister. At the same time, I wanted to ask her a lot of questions about Jake and her presence in his life.

Those delicate moments of silence were suddenly interrupted by the sound of the door being open that came from right behind me. We turned our attention towards the sound as the door slowly swings opened.

A male figure appeared behind the door and mumbled nonchalantly, "what took you so long to come in? It's cold out here."

"I'm sorry-" The lady in the green scarf spoke slowly, making each word distinct.

"And who were you talking to?" He took a quick glance at her and then he focused on me as he prolonged the word 'to'.

We gazed deeply into each others eyes for quite some time. I locked my eyes on those familiar deep blue eyes of him without a single blink. The deeper we went in, the darker our surroundings became. I longed to see those mesmerizing two pool of eyes and listened to the creaky voice of him. It's amazing how fast time flies by and you didn't even realize it. We both had grown up now and we continued living our lives just like other people in this world.

This male figure came closer and carved a smile on his face, but his eyes were full of pity. He tried to say something, but his words caught deep in his throat. He opened his mouth again and said through his brittle voice, "Amanda."

Those six letters were the word that I had been longing to hear since the day he left me on that gloomy evening all alone without the love from a brother to his sister. We only met on certain family events but we never had a long and normal conversations like other siblings always did.

I suddenly realized that I had been holding my breath as he pulled me into his chest for a warm hug and I laid against his chest. My eyes were brimming with tears of joy as I wrapped both arms around his torso. He put his chin on the top of my head and uttered, "I know you miss me, sister."

No doubt he could sense my despair, since I had never succeeded in hiding anything from him before. "No, I don't", I lied as we pulled away.

Jake grinned mischievously through his voice and moved his finger around, to the right, to the left and assured, "Huh uh, you can never lie to me. Your no means yes to me."

I smiled in disbelief at the thought of him still hadn't changed from his childishness as I gently punched him on the left arm. "You still haven't change, brother."

"Still the same old me aka Amanda's crazy yet cute brother", Jake teased and we both laughed at the thought of it. I missed this moment and hoped that time would stopped and let us live in this precious moment.

Jake and I were interrupted by the fake cough of the lady in the green scarf that I met before."Hello, I'm here.", she prolonged, with a sarcastic tone in her voice.

Jake slapped his palm with his knuckles, turned his head toward her, and grinned. The lady grinned back and stood still whilst Jake introduced us. I learned that they both was a couple and her name was Rose like the female character in the film, Titanic.

* * *

They both invited me into the living room of their beautiful, warm house. I could never have imagined that my brother lives his life and grown up in this tiny house that was located in the middle of London whilst I was living in a mansion far away in Los Angeles.

Rose walked back into the living room after placing the groceries in the kitchen and muttered, "you know whenever he misses home, he would always mention about you. Amanda this, Amanda that. Sometimes I have to shut him up."

I managed a genuine smile and answered, "he does?"

"Yeah and he-", she paused and approached me from behind. "He loves you and misses you so much and there's no single day that he doesn't look at your pictures." Rose spoke under her breath, afraid that he might heard our conversation and I believed that he didn't want to showed his other side to me.

I walked around the room, admiring the photos that were hanged on the walls and on the console table of their house. I rubbed my index finger against the console table and my attention was caught by a particular picture that was nicely framed. It was a picture of our family before mummy died and that was the last time we took a picture as a perfect family.

I slowly touched the picture with my hand as I heard Jake's voice from a great distance, very soft, barely audible. He was saying, "I already put your luggage in your room."

That night, we had a long conversation only between the two of us and tried to get to know each other very well.

Author's Note:

Just want to share with you guys another great story that I am currently enjoy reading, Hat Girl byEmoSheep. I feel that her story is very unique yet romantic. Read it k!