Wedding

That's how I got here. Standing next to a girl who took my world. I watched as they said I do and exchanged the rings. I watched as they danced to the song that played on their first date. I cried. With all the little old grannies and aunties I cried. I was happy for him but it hurt knowing there was nothing now. 

"Attention everyone" Salli clinked her spoon on her glass. It was time for their speeches. I'd helped write them and I was prepared to sit through the story of how they were a cute awkward new couple experiencing true love for the first time.

"I'd like to thank all of you for being here on our special day" she began "I'd like to thank everyone who made this day possible. But more than anyone"

My head shot up. She was off script. What was she doing?

"I'd like to thank Mya!" everyone cheered as Salli announced my name "None of this and I mean none of it would have been possible without you" she smiles at me "Since day one you were supportive even though you had every right not to be. You've been like a sister to me and I can't thank you for all you've done to get us to this day. You really are a fairy godmother Mya"

Mitch joined in "And the best friend anyone could possibly have. You didn't get angry at me when I was acting stupid"

"And there have been plenty of times" Salli stuck her tongue out at him. He stuck his back out at her

"You've gone above and beyond the role a best friend plays. Thank you. For everything" 

The guests cheered and clinked their cups together at their assigned tables. I could feel myself crying again. I rushed up to them and hugged them both tightly. Yes Salli had taken my world from me but she kept it safe and she made that world a brighter place. I looked at Mitch with the sparkle in his eye as he stared at her. His face said it all. My face said it all. I was happy for their happiness. I would find someone one day. Someone I loved and who loved me. I would always love Mitch I know that I would but that was okay. He was happy and so was I. Isn't that what love is about? Happiness? I think it is. And I knew we were all happy. Your happily ever after doesn't mean the story is over. It's only the beginning of a better chapter.