Pre bachelor party

She said yes of course. I was asked to help plan the wedding. So for months I helped match tablecloths to the flowers. I made sure great uncle Tom stayed away from Grandma Rose so they didn't argue over the invention of telephones. I helped Salli find her dream dress. I helped pick their first song. I was picked to be the maid of honor. And I hated every minute of it. I was miserable and heart broken. Always the bridesmaid never the bride. I didn't care it wasn't my turn to get married. I cared I wasn't the one with the groom.

"So since I have a bachelor party tomorrow and you'll be with Salli we're going out tonight" I looked up at him confused

"We're gonna do what?" 

"We're gonna go out to the bar tonight. It'll be like a pre bachelor party! We can even hire strippers if you want"

I crinkled my nose at the idea of naked women dancing around me or him for that matter.

"We can got to the bar. No strippers"

"you're no fun"

And we left for the bar. We drank and danced and watched sports and drank some more. We ended up having to call a taxi that took us back to my place. We watched a movie and I got semi sober pretty fast. He was still pretty drunk.

"Come on Mitch. Let's get you into bed" I sat next to him on the couch getting ready to help him stumble to bed. "God you're gonna have such a hang over"

He put his arm around me but didn't try and get up.

"Come on hun I can't carry you. I need you to work with me."

"I'm getting married" He said. His words didn't slur. They never did.

"Yes Mitch. In two days to Salli the girl you love." I sighed dreading having to see their wedding.

"I love you" He said to me. My heart stopped. 

"I know. I love you too. We're best friends"

"No. No no I love you. I've always loved you"

Did he really just say that? The words I just heard. Were they real?

"Mitch that's not true. You love Salli"

"I love you. Let's run away together" he turned his face to me and looked like he would lean in for a kiss. I almost let him. But I didn't. I knew it would ruin everything. I felt tears brimming in my eyes

I brushed his shaggy black hair out of his face "No Mitch"

"Why not? Don't you love me?" I looked into his eyes. I could tell he wouldn't remember this

"More than anything in the world. Which is why I won't run away with you. You love Salli. Lets got to bed. Come on" I helped him to his feet and tucked him into my bed. He fell asleep instantly. I ran my fingers through his hair like I had when he first dyed it.

"God Mitch you dork" I sighed looking down at my phone. A single note pulled up. One I had looked at every day for 8 years. Ever since Mitch had sent it to me I looked at it.

"I've said "I love you" so many times to so many people that it lost meaning to it until I met you. When I said it to you I knew I meant it. For the first time I meant it. I'll always mean it. I hope to be with you forever. I love you. And I really really mean it"

The tears ran down my face onto my phone screen. I looked over at my sleeping love. I could have said yes. I could have run away with him but he wouldn't have been happy. I wasn't the one that made him happy anymore. Not like Salli did. His happiness matters so much more to me than my own. So for that reason I would not runaway with him. I grabbed a pillow and blanket ready to sleep on the couch.

"Goodnight Mitch. I love you"