When I am laid in Earth

1

On the opposite side of Café La Bonaparte, a tall handsome man in his mid-20s, exited a small cab. He stood gracefully as he fixed his tie and buttoned his blazer in the quarter glass reflection.

"Merci Monsieur" said the shabby old cab driver, he seemed delighted as the man had given him a handsome tip. They both exchanged smiles as he drove off.

The man stood there for a brief moment, took a deep breath. He could almost smell the beautiful Sunday morning with cigarette smoke undertones and the aroma of coffee from across the street.

He walked across and entered the cafe. It was crowded as usual. He always hated crowded places but this was his favorite place for morning reading and breakfast. Every day he would pay an extra to come here and order the same old waffles with black coffee.

The waitress seemed to have recognized him, she waved and nodded. He smiled back in assurance. Right across his table he saw a woman with a stern look on her face talking to man who was sitting opposite to her, she seemed as if she wanted to say a million things to this man but she couldn't because she knew he wouldn't understand. He observed them for a brief moment and then started reading his book, Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky.

In the meantime, the waitress had brought him his usual breakfast. He sipped on smooth black coffee, with every sip he felt vitalized. In the background played Emma Kirkby Dido's Lament. It was as if a symphony of emotions had been laid on the piano keys, and sung with genuine solitude and a softness of her voice seem to have touched him where words could never reach. He loved the ambience of café La Bonaparte and the distinct effect it had on him. He felt alive. He felt as if his troubles had vanished. He felt free. He kept reading for an hour and got up rather abruptly as if remembering something. He paid for his breakfast, smoked a quick cigarette and hopped on the tram.

2

He sat in front, enjoying the beautiful urban street view and patches of scenery in-between. It was autumn. He particularly loved fall season because he could feel the end of something profound and a beginning of something new. It was a feeling unknown that resonated with his inner thoughts.

The tram had now stopped to pick up passengers and there came an old lady with wrinkled face, small eyes and a weak skeleton that stood right in front of him. He smiled at her with sincere compassion and offered her his seat. She thanked him and sat down.

The tram had begun to move and once again he immersed in deep thought, continuing to enjoy the view outside, through tram window.

His stop finally came, he got off and started walking towards a yellow colored tall building.

3

He had promised to meet an old friend. She had called him several times, saying that she was about to make an important decision in her life and that she needed his advice.

He knocked on the apartment building. It opened almost immediately as if she was waiting for him.

"Thank God! You're here Duke, I was beginning to think you'd never show up" she said in a hurry.

"I promised you, I'd come" replied Duke.

"Well I'm happy you came, at least there still are people, left in this world who care for me... Come sit down please"

"Let's just sit in the balcony, the view seems to be nice" suggested Duke with authority.

They sat themselves down on the hard mahogany chairs. Duke lit up a cigarette and gave Mary a grim look that suggested he wasn't remotely interested in small talk. Mary understood