The Princess of the Poor

About 800 years ago, a little girl named Elizabeth was born into a world of riches, wealth and power. She was the daughter of King Andrew II- the ruler of Hungary in the thirteenth century- and his wife Gertude.

From a young age, Elizabeth already showed signs of piety. She is very prayerful and spent many nights in vigil. However, when she was still young, she was sent to live away from home- to the court of a young man whom she was to marry someday. So in line with the custom at that time, Elizabeth was married at the age of fourteen to a twenty one year old named Ludwig (also known Louis IV). Despite their young age, their marriage was a happy one- and Elizabeth found a way to continue her piety during their marriage.

Amazing Charity

Elizabeth of Hungary is most well-known for her outstanding charity. Very often, Ludwig would be away on imperial duties, leaving Elizabeth in charge of the affairs of their estate. Whenever this happened, Elizabeth took the opportunity to give charitably to those in need. She distributed food and tended to many of the needs of poor. She even built a hospital next to their residence to care for those in serious condition. It is said that she ministered a nine hundred poor people daily! An amazing feat of charity by any standard.
Her life was not easy, though. At the age of twenty-seven, Ludwig died of fever on his way to the Crusade. Elizabeth found herself a widow at the age  of twenty and was filled with great sorrow. Moreover, her husband's family mistreated her because they were not pleased with the way she generously distributed the family wealth. They rose up against her, and eventually had her thrown out of the place. It was only much later that she would be reinstated, supported by her husband's allies in the crusades.

After her husband's death, Elizabeth met the Franciscans, which at the time was a new order beginning to spread across Europe.

She found herself deeply attracted to Franciscan ideals and desired to lived their life of poverty. Unfortunately, her state of life did not allow her to do so- she had too many responsibilities in the kingdom. But she didn't let that stop her from supporting from Franciscan and continuing her various acts of charity. She died at very young age of twenty-four, very love in her kingdom for all the love and compassion she had shown to them.

Miracles of Rose

Her charity is best expressed in legend that circulated about her following her death. According to the story, one day, Elizabeth was gathering food and supplies to give to the poor as she was used to do. She wrapped them in a shawl and concealed them as she left the palace. On her way out, she suddenly found herself confronted by her brother-in-law who was returning from a hunt. He was one of those of the family who was not happy with Elizabeth's charity, and he accuses her of stealing from the palace, forcing her to reveal what she was carrying. When she opened her shawl, instead of food, roses came falling out - a divine symbol of God's providence and care over Elizabeth's charitable works.

Three Ways to be Charitable Today

Elizabeth's life shows us that it doesn't matter what state of life you find yourself in -- young, old, married/ single. She found a way to serve God and be charitable in each situations. Like Elizabeth, we are all called to show Gods love and charity all around us.

Here are 3 ways we can imitate Elizabeth.

1. Be poor in Spirit.
- When Christ said, “Blessed are the poor in spirit," He was not calling everyone to be literally poor. His words are an invitation for us not to be attached to our possessions. Elizabeth was definitely a wealthy woman, but she didn't let that stop her from showing generosity to those in need.

2. Give smallchange big.
- virtues and habits starts from small acts done repeatedly. It seems so cool to give that one big donation of a million pesos, but you can make the same impact by giving a little bit everyday.
Elizabeth showed her great charity not just by giving, but by giving everyday. Her constancy is what made her a saint.

3. Give not just stuff but of yourself.
- After Elizabeth's death, she was declared a saint not just because she gave generously to the poor, but bcause she loved them, and they loved her back. She cared deeply for each of them as unique individuals. When we show generosity to those in need, are we able to see them as human being as well?

How can you serve God and be charitable like Elizabeth?