2

Since then, I never got that night out of my head; and those eyes, those cold eyes. I never really examined his other facial features, just those endless pits of  emptiness.

That night, as we soon were to discover was the last out of the canon of dark explosive skies, where thousands upon thousands of people would lose their lives.

The next day the amount of Veins dropped like wild fire and disappeared leaving just lifeless corpses on the ground.
The pale, desolated corpses became so frequently apparent that they were almost like shards of grass in a field.
Half the population, dead.

During the night, in the King's Empire hospital situated in the heart of the city, hundreds of amazing minds collaborated to form the perfect serum that would detonate the world of the Veins.
However, it wasn't easy. The investigation took years to find the right solution, and many attempts failed to even make an impact.
If the serum was discovered even a month earlier, it would have saved the lives of the unfortunate possessors.

They all died; the percentage reached a hundred meaning their souls were lost and the body was completely infested.
Only a half of the world's population survived and I was one of them.

I remember crawling out of my house the next morning and the area was completely deserted; just a cloud of dust that sparkled in the sunlight.

My family followed behind me, also flabbergasted by the foreign silence.
"What the hell is going on?" Dad whispered, his hands clutched on Foley's shoulder.

I began to walk slowly forward, clumps of wood rolled next to my feet.
"Zane don't go too far please!" Mum called. I stopped and turned.
"Maybe they've gone", I suggested.
Dad gave a curious grunt.

We all paced down the road and looked all around us for any sign of life, the silence was deafening.

As the scenery in front of us began to clear as saw an odd shape on the floor. I squinted my eyes at it and noticed, it was a dead body.
"Look!" I yelled and ran to it.
I crouched next to it and turned him on to his side.
When I looked at him I saw a huge syringe implanted in his neck. I went to lean and grab it but Dad did the deed before me.
He held it in his hand and looked at the gold content that remained in the tube.
"What is it Dad?" I looked at it sternly whilst it rolled around his hand,
"I don't know" he answered, " come on". He stood up slowly, dropped the syringe on the floor and started walking to the others. I quickly followed.
We continued to walk in a huddle down the street which was crowded with shrapnel and rubble.
The air was saturated with dust which made it difficult to breathe.
The area was a a ghost town, and my little mind wondered, how could a place so familiar become so unrecognisable overnight.

I missed the cool breeze that that brushed between the green trees that say on my old Georgian style street, the park opposite my house where me and my brothers used to play on the swings and play football, and the quietness of the London suburbs.
It was a shame that mine, and many of my brothers, childhood were taken away so soon.
I believe that that's the explanation for my blunt and realistic attitude to life, my playful side was stolen.

"I don't like how quiet it is" Mum whispered to Dad whilst she cling onto his arm tight.
"I'm not risking calling out for help in case they find us" Dad murmured, it was obvious he was still in doubt that the Veins has fully disappeared.

I grew in confidence that we were safe, and I dispersed myself from the huddle, as did Dan and Rid.
I crawled up the large mountains of rock and pieces of metal and jumped fro peak to peak.
The outline of my family started to disappear in the mist of dirt, so I quickened my pace to keep up with them.
I lost my footing on a loose piece of rock and crashed to the floor.
I felt a harsh stinging pain in my left elbow and I grabbed it tightly whilst it began to bleed, gritting through my teeth in pain.
My moaning stopped when my ears picked up a quiet shuffle of movement which came from a pile of scraps in front of me.
I leaned up gently to try and see what the noise was coming from, a dog or a person, I thought.
Suddenly, a man's head popped up from the pile and I jolted in fright, and a started to shuffle away slowly.
I didn't want to move quick in case he needed help. However, when I noticed the black shimmer in his eyes when he looked at me, it was too late.
When I sprung from my position he grabbed my ankle and pulled me down.
I screamed profusely as my head slammed the floor, and my body was being dragged on the floor.
I turned onto my back to look at the man. He crawled on his front dragging his crippled legs and bloody body.
His eyes seemed different from the others I have seen. They were faded and lifeless, as if he was dying.
"Must spread!" He bellowed angrily, and he dug his sharp dirty nails into my ankle.
I screeched in agony as his nails sunk deeper into my skin. Why did I run away? I thought.
In those few torturous seconds I thought I was going to die.
Then an abrupt kick the man's face cause him to let go of my ankle.
I turned my head to see Dad who held a sharp rock I his hand which he slammed against the man's head. 
He picked me up in his arms and ran towards the others who were stood frantic in the street.
"Why did you run off Zane!" He exhaled angrily after he jumped to a halt.
"I'm sorry Daddy" I cried in his shoulder.
"It's ok my boy" his tone changed to a a quiet, comforting whisper, and he clutched his hand on the back of my head. "It's ok".

As we continued to walk down the street to the center of the city, my little ind still pondered on what the man growled at me, must spread.
I lifted my head which was held centimeters away from Dad's who still had me enclosed in his arms.

I told him, " Daddy, the man said something to me".
Dad hummed and turned his head to me.
"He said that he must spread, what does that mean?" I asked.
Dad's face sank and went pale, "Erm", he whined, but I desperately wants him to tell me the truth.
"To be honest with you Zaney, I think he wanted you to become one of them."

The mist went clearer, and we could see a large amount of people pacing around just as oblivious as we were.
Many sky scrapers and large buildings still stood tall but we were damaged and on their last leg.
My family stopped and were hesitant to go any further just in case the people were like the man we encountered previously.
My Dad glanced quickly at a man who stumbled out of an old jewelry shop, which had its windows smashed and roof caved in.
"Excuse me! What happened!" Dad enquirer bravely.
"They're gone!" The man answered, "the government finally got rid of the fuckers!". The man laughed and walked towards the crowd.
Dad repeated what the man told him to himself in amazement, as he tried to process what he heard.
Mum made a loud whimper of happiness which she tried to hide with her hand clasped around her motion.
A no steroid roar of excitement echoed from the crowd and everyone hugged each other tightly.

It was finally over.