4

"You really think this will work?" Governor Cronen asked while he was tapping on the glass table, sat poised in his chair.
The table was long, surrounded by many grey leather chairs that sat neatly either side to imitate a conference room.
"Yes", Governor Lurmen answered, "it'll bring a change to this world. It will show that young children can grow into elite individuals capable of displaying power to bring peace, and will demonstrate that everyone else can do the same."

Lurmen circled the room many times before he headed towards another small glass table which held a decanter of whiskey. He poured half a glass full and took a huge gulp.
"You don't think the public will find it ludicrous to put 5 teenage boys on the 'throne'", Cronen continued to question.
"Bob it's not a monarchy", Lurmen giggled when he continued to circle the room, "that ended before the war even began. Let's say they'll be more like presidents and prime ministers, they have higher authority than those in the rest of the government."

Cronen looked down at his finger which still tapped the table. Kids ruling the world, he thought, it'll be like a playground.
"I still think we should he experienced members of government to take the role first".
"What like you?" Lurmen snapped back with a smirk wiped across his face, glass nearly empty.

Governor Lurmen was associated as the leader of the international government while the world was in turmoil after the war.
Originally, he was the president of the United States, but suggest that all governments across the world should join to become one strong empowering government; besides, only a fraction of each one were left.
He was intelligent, and was the glue that stuck the world back together.
Cronen was the former president of Australia, but, like the rest of the presidents, became an ordinary member of the newly reformed parliament.
He too was cunning, and played Lurmen's sidekick when it came to declaring national laws. This one law however, posed as the most difficult for him to comprehend.

"No, more like you, or maybe a group of us like the most influential individuals of the government from previous experience", Cronen suggested who still avoided eye contact like a child in trouble.
"That's no different to what I'm suggesting Bob! Accept we're creating that past experience for the greater good!" Lurmen's emphasis caused his hands to waft manically, nearly drooping the empty glass.

Lurmen's rational explanation caused Cronen to re-evaluate the law, which suddenly became more logical.
But still, so many questions flooded his mind. how were they going to train these boys to become the best of their capability? How long will it take? Will it bode well with the public?

"It's too late now anyway, the law has been passed". Lurmen gently pulled out a chair directly opposite Cronen, and sat and gazed at him.
Cronen hummed in acceptance, and slouched on the back the back of the chair.
"I know you're only thinking what's best for the people, trust me we all are. But I really think this can work", Lurmen's voice contrasted to a reassuring whisper.
Cronen looked up at him and smiled, "So how will the tests be carried out?".
"Well we need to rest them on each individual skill that is required for them to be a strong capable leader in any situation". He stood up and walked steadily towards the liquor table again. "So they include military defense, debating, medicine. Basically they need to prove to us that they a extremely clever and indestructible."

When Lurmen explained more in great detail and confidence, Cronen felt more reassured and possessed an element of excitement.
Lurmen continued when he placed a glass of whiskey in front of Cronen, "then overtime the most compatible and highly skilled will be narrowed down to five, and they will be the 'kings'".
"Well when you put that way!" Cronen grinned,  and both men raised their glasses and clinked them together. Cronen gulped his drink down in one and exhaled harshly.
"So how are you planning to collect these lucky contestants?" Cronen slammed his glass on the table.
"Did you read the file at all?" Lurmen laughed, "it's simple really, we'll just do small tests in each country and who ever does the best wins, voila. Then we'll bring them here to the capital where the real tests will begin."

The city in which the new government was situated was named Spectica, and was deemed the capital city of the world.
It was home to every single head quarter of the world's major businesses, and the residences of their workers.

One wall of the room consisted only of clear glass which have a wondrous view of the city.
The sunlight beamed from the monstrous skyscrapers that plagued the city, which radiated colours of yellow and blue from the sky.
The canyons between the glass buildings echoed voices of the citizens that walked the streets, and the roar of the trains that travelled at tremendous speeds.
The city was cocooned by valleys and tall hills with shades of green that contrasted against the grey steel.
The government's choice of location of the city between the valleys was purely for protection purposes.

The gleaming sun had warmed Cronen's face while he gaped out of the window.
Lurmen turned his body in the chair and joined him in valuing the beautiful city that stared back at them.
"This will be a wonderful new world", he declared.
"It sure will".