Chapter 9

Light streaming in through the windows caressed Uruvi's eyes open. Having had a good night's sleep, she woke up with a serene smile. She propped herself up on the pillows. The open windows let in a volley of dustmotes dancing in sunshine. It felt as if fairydust was being sprinkled all over her. How blessed she felt! Even these mundane things felt like a gift. What a difference, a change in attitude brought about. Tring-tring tring-tring. Her siesta was broken by the ringing intercom.

Uruvi-Hello.

Hotel manager- Sorry to disturb your sleep madam, but a few people have come to see you.

Uruvi-See me?(weird)Ohkk, I'll be down once I freshen up.

Hotel manager-Uh..Umm...It cant wait madam. You are required here right now.

Uruvi-I'm your guest. You can't...

Hotel manager-It's the police.

Uruvi-The ...the police? I'll be right down.

Uruvi was perplexed. Why would the police be looking for her. She dressed up and hurried downstairs. Standing among the uniformed personels was...Aman. Even after all the realizations she had had the previous day, the sight of him made her go weak on her knee. A warmth engulfed her heart. She came to a standstill. Pure relief flashed in Aman's eyes. It seemed as if he hadn't slept a wink since she had left. He wore the same soiled clothes she had last seen him in. At the sight of Uruvi, he came running to her and scooped her up in his arms. Uruvi melted in those arms and it felt as if she had never left. He planted a hesitant peck on her lips.

Uruvi was back on the beach. Hand in hand with Aman, with her head gently resting on his shoulder, they strolled on the sand. To Uruvi it still felt like the ghost of a memory. Aman was humming some tune to himself. After the initial euphoria had died down, Aman had detangled enough from her to thank the police. When it hit Aman that Uruvi had actually left the house he had frantically tried to search for her. But it was too late, when he reached the street, Uruvi was nowhere to be found. Calling her friends seemed pointless, she wasn't much close to anyone. He was utterly clueless what to do. Approaching the police seemed the best option. But they had refused to look into the matter until atleast 24 hours had passed by since she was missing. Deranged, Aman had led his own search but to no avail. When after 24 hours they finally registered the case she was easily tracked by her cell phone location. Neither had spoken a word to each other since their reunion. They were reluctant to break the strange calm. Uruvi took in a deep breath.

Uruvi- Life teaches us the most important lessons the hard way.

Aman arched his eyebrows at her.

Uruvi- Haha..Yaa, look whose being all spiritual. But truly, this small adventure of mine has taught me a lot. And most importantly Aman I don't want to avoid the problem anymore. It's imperative we talk.

Aman- I know dear. Just wanted to enjoy this calm, no matter how short lived it is.

Uruvi- Isn't confrontation better than a false facade of calm?

Aman- Whoa! Who are you? What have you done with my wife?

Uruvi-Ama..

Aman- I know I'm bound to give you some answers. Well...Are you angry with me?

Uruvi took his hand and made him sit down on her moss bench with her, the one from the previous night.

She smiled a sweet smile.

Uruvi-No...not anymore...Infact, I should be the one asking that. Wasn't I the cuckoo who took off that night??

Aman-You sure have hit your head somewhere.

Both of them burst into laughter.

Aman-It seems as if the old times are back.

Uruvi-Things never get back to what they were in the past. People tend to change, and thats the beauty of human nature, Aman, we adapt to changes.

Aman- Then, lets start afresh. We both have made our mistakes shona, Im sure this time we won't make mistakes, atleast not the same ones. Hahaha..

Uruvi- Ohh my dear dear Aman, I missed us...There's so much to be done. I'm filled with anticipation to take the journey ahead.

Aman-With me I hope.

Uruvi-With whom else my idiot.

Aman playfully lunged to catch her.

Aman-Whom are you calling a idiot haa??

Uruvi quickly ducked out of his reach. She began running on the beach.

Uruvi-You, my dear husband.

Aman-I'll show you whose the idiot.

He began chasing her. Without a care in the world, they ran. He caught hold of her and both tumbled onto the sand panting.

He pinned her to the ground. Aman smiled innocently at her.

Aman-So...you were saying..

Uruvi-huh..huh..your choking me..

Aman-Am I now??

He pressed her closer to him. Eyes locked into hers. His eyes were moist. Pain, apology, love all rolled into that one look. Those eyes spoke things that he couldn't voice. First hesitantly and then with a confidence Uruvi pressed her lips to his. Their lips moulded into each other. She could taste salt. Perhaps from the sand scattered over them. Perhaps from her tears. Perhaps from his. Yet somehow it had a sweet tinge to it. She felt complete with him. She felt as if she were the universe and yet only a small speck of it. Aman as much a part of her as she was of him. Together till infinity and beyond....