What Wonders Never Cease (Four)

Start from the beginning

Larisa took a seat on her mother's side, wearily rubbing her eyes. She had hurried to the airport to catch the next plane heading to San Francisco after she heard about the attempt on her brother's life. "He's resting peacefully right now," she informed her parents, having just left his room after watching him sleep for a while.

"Good," both Richard and Sandra replied simultaneously, causing each to smile at the other warmly.

A vibration within his jacket pocket alerting him to a call, Richard excused himself and walked out of the waiting room to answer, soon standing near a water fountain. The phone pressed to his ear, he greeted the caller, soon frowning.

"What on earth could you be calling me for?"

"I'm terribly sorry to bother you at this time sir, but I thought it was only fair to let you know that my client has skipped town. I talked to her a few hours ago, and I don't have a clue as to where she is, but she's no longer in San Francisco."

"I already know that she left. There's a warrant out for her arrest and she's nowhere to be found."

"I thought you might know, but really that's just speculation. For all the police know, she very well could be in San Francisco, but I have proof that she's not, because I spoke with her and she admitted it. Ms. Redding is scared and she feels like everyone is against her," Frank explained.

"Well, she should be scared, because if I have my way, she will get the death penalty for all that she's done," Judge Love angrily replied. "Or at the very least, her ass will be in a prison cell until the day her heart stops beating."

"You have every right to be upset sir, but maybe she isn't responsible for those murders."

"All the evidence points to her, Mr. Webb. Of course, she's guilty. My own son saw her face when she tried to kill him, so don't defend your psychopathic client to me. As far as I'm concerned, yesterday when she went after my own flesh and blood, she signed her death certificate." Abruptly ending the call before the other man could have a chance to reply, Richard shoved the phone back into his pocket and headed back to his family.

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3

Desiree groggily awoke to an insistent tongue licking her left cheek. Oh, don't tell me this woman is licking my face? Someone please get me a straight jacket! Desiree mused that Piper's tongue sure was rough and dry. She was happy to find that she felt not an ounce of arousal. Last night, or earlier that morning she had been worried that maybe she was attracted to Piper. She concluded that the feelings she experienced were due to lack of sleep and contending with a roller coaster of emotions. Whatever they were, they had thankfully vanished.

Desiree opened her eyes to a very surprising sight. Resting on top of her was none other than Tobias. The light orange and white fifteen-pound tabby cat was busy licking her face as if his young master were drenched in milk. Tobias stopped licking and started to purr when he noticed that his owner was now awake. Getting up on all four chubby, short legs, he stretched and moved over to lay next to Desiree.

"Morning, sleepyhead," said a low voice coming from the direction of the window.

Desiree turned her head on the pillow to see Piper sitting in a dark blue recliner with her feet up. The light from the sun was shining on her face and those sparkling blue eyes. Desiree had no choice but to admit to herself that this woman was absolutely breathtaking. Too bad she was nutty as a fruitcake.

"Morning," Desiree replied, sitting up in the queen-sized bed. She would hate to confess it aloud, but Desiree had slept wonderfully in that comfortable bed. In fact, she had not slept that well in... well, she failed to remember. She glanced toward her cat, who was on his way to kitty dreamland, still softly purring. A smile lifting her lips, she rubbed his head while looking at her kidnapper. "You went to go get him?" she asked the woman.