Chapter Twenty-Seven

Carter's POV:

"I think you need to go to the doctor." My mother says, as she sits on the edge of the bath tub. "You've been getting sick nearly every morning from the last two weeks. And you've been going to school every day. That's not healthy, Carter."

I wipe my mouth with a piece of toilet paper, and then flush it. "I feel fine after it. I've been eating crap like sushi lately, probably just something in the fish."

My mum sighs, before she gets off the edge of the bath tub. "Alright...but if you get sick again, I'm taking you to Dr. Hurley."

"Whatever."

"Get ready. Your father will be taking you to school in twenty five minutes. He's got a conference so he needs to take you early."

"I'll just walk."

"No, you will not. Your father will take you in twenty five minutes." My mum shuts the door, without another word.

I strip from the fuzzy black pajama bottoms and then pull of the black t-shirt that Harry left here. I press it against my face. The fabric is soft, and it still smells faintly like him. I set it down on the toilet lid and turn the shower on.

Whenever I'm finished, I quickly pull my hair into a bun and then slip on a purple sweatshirt. I slide the jeans up my leg, and try to button it, but it won't. I stand sideways in the mirror. A small bulge is forming on my once flat stomach.

~

I walk into school, my jeans squeezing the circulation out of my waist. I push past the crowd of people standing by the doors to the library, and then walk towards my locker.

"Carter."

I take a deep breath. "What?"

"I want to talk." He mumbles. "Please..."

"No." I shake my head. "We don't need to talk."

"I love you." He says softly.

I turn around and look at him. His eyes are dark blue underneath, and there are tears falling silently down his cheeks. He doesn't even swipe at them. He just lets them fall. He looks awful. "I don't love you, Harry. Please, just leave me alone." I turn back to my locker, grabbing my binders and textbook.

As I turn around, Harry grabs my wrist. "Please."

I drop the binders and textbook on the floor. "Let go, Harry."

"You've been ignoring my phone calls, and texts, and everything."

"My phone got taken away." I say flatly. I try to shake his hand off of my wrist, as I lean down to pick up the binders and my textbook. "I don't want to talk, Harry. We aren't going to talk. So, please, just...leave me alone, alright?"

"We need to talk, Carter... I'm going crazy."

"You're just going to have to go crazy." I finally free my wrist from his grip, and turn away. "I'm sorry. I can't do this little game anymore. You had sex with me, wooed me, whatever. I don't care anymore, Harry. I am so done."

And he doesn't say anything back. He just lets me walk off, without another word.

~

By the end of the school day, I can now noticeably feel a bump coming up off of my once flat stomach. My face is flushed by the time I leave my last class, and run to my locker.

I couldn't be pregnant, could I? That's absurd.

I throw everything into my bag, before I lock my locker and run out of the school doors. My dad's truck is waiting for me. I get in, buckle my seatbelt and look across at my dad.