Chapter Fifteen: Deep Sleep

Mulai dari awal

"We'll also set up a guard at the orphanage, just in case Tentatio tries to distract us. This means we'll have to split up the team for now."

I'm not sure I like this idea, but it makes sense. I can't be in two places at once. Looking to Dad, I hope for some guidance on who to place where.

Fi, connect me to Dad, please, I request.

You're connected, she tells me without even making eye contact so we don't draw any attention to the fact we're about to speak privately.

What do you suggest? I ask him.

Without looking at me, he resumes his pacing in front of the fireplace. I think you should leave Billy and Fiona together. As a pair they equal you in power and strength and you have learned to control your powers much better, so you don't necessarily need Fiona to protect you.

So, do you think they should watch the orphanage since it's a bigger location and they can split up?

It makes sense.

I look at Fiona and she smiles at me, seemingly clueless as to what Dad and I are saying to each other.

She connected us and has been ignoring everything we've been saying. She's really got a handle on her ability. Dad says impressed.

So, Billy and Fiona go with one of you to the orphanage and I stay here with the others?

How about you send them to the orphanage with Jason and David? Your mother and I can stay here.

I think about that for a moment, but I have another idea.

How about Billy and David go to the orphanage, leave Fiona here. I don't want her to worry about me and Grace. It may become a distraction.

Are you sure David can handle it?

If you and Jason go too, yes. Leave Mom here with me. You, Billy and Jason can train David up on how to fight properly. He's got some natural talent, but he needs some refining.

Dad thinks for a minute and then nods. Okay, we'll go with that plan.

Really?

Eli, we may be your parents, but you're in charge of the important decisions the Sicarius must make. If you think this is best, then that's what we'll do.

"Okay," I say, finally speaking up and looking around.

Some of them look startled that I've said anything after so much silence. I hadn't realized it'd been so silent since Dad and I had been talking.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you," I say with a sheepish grin.

"Why were you quiet for so long?" Mr. Smith asks.

"My dad and I were talking."

"Talking? You didn't say anything. You weren't even looking at each other."

I look at Fiona and she barely even has to concentrate on Mr. Smith to speak to him. He jumps, startled again, as he hears Fiona's voice in his head.

"You- wait, what did you just do?" he asks.

"I spoke to your mind, sir," Fiona says sweetly.

He hesitates before he speaks again. Then, pointing at Fiona, he asks, "You can do that?"

She holds back a giggle and nods. Mr. Smith did look kinda funny asking her if she was really able to speak with her mind after she'd just done it.

"All of you can?" he asks, looking at Billy and then me.

"Only when Fiona's around. It's her ability. She can connect us to others," I explain.