Chapter Four

Chapter Four

As soon as I walk through the front door at the ranch; a mixture of bacon, coffee, and waffles hits me a catholic nun with a ruler. I grin at the thought of Mrs. Hernandez’s delicious homemade breakfast. Walking into the kitchen I’m greeted by a busy Mexican woman running around the like a chicken with its head cutoff.

Mrs. Hernandez has been walking for Grandpa Bill for almost 40 years. She immigrated to the United States when she was only sixteen with her a newborn. Making her way to South Carolina, Bill took her in and let her stay on the ranch as a cook and nanny. Her son, Juan, grew up here with Jamie and Grace’s father and they were best friends. Sadly he was killed in active duty during the Gulf War. Mrs. Hernandez had a hard time with his death, but Grandpa Bill was there for her. Everyone sees her as a mother figure and the ranch wouldn’t be the same without her.

“Hey Mama H, need any help?” I ask as she smiles at the nickname I gave her. I’m the only one who calls her that and we like to keep it that way.

Turning to me, she answers, “No honey, but you can sit down and eat before it’s all gone. Having all these military men here sure does keep me on my toes and boy can they eat.”

For a woman who is pushing her 60s, Mrs. Hernandez is still very beautiful. She has fine features and there are barely any wrinkles on her face besides the laugh lines around her mouth and eyes. Her eyes are the color whiskey and her hair is white snow.

As I sit down to the plate she made me, Grandpa Bill walks in and takes a sit beside me as he kisses the top of my head. “Hey kiddo Jamie and Connor will be in after they hook up the trailer, so eat up.”

“Aye Aye Captain, so how do the mares look? I know that you’ll be selling them soon.” I ask as I butter my waffles.

Nodding his head, he answers, “They’re getting there; they still need some training, but they’re strong so we’ll see at the auction next month.” 

We continue to talk about the horses and other things about the ranch when Jamie and Connor walk in. I take in Connor’s appearance and who knew that he could make jeans look so good. He is wearing a faded pair of jeans with a fitted black t-shirt and cowboy boots. I am also wearing faded jeans, but mine have a rip or two in the knees and I paired a purple tank and Converse sneakers to go with them.

“Hey Kree, I hope you don’t mind if we could take my truck; there’ll be more room and I want to run it since it has been in storage for a while.” Connor says as he fills his plate up with food.

“I don’t mind at all. That only means I can get more stuff.” I answer before putting my plate in the dishwasher.

Jamie shakes his head as he says, “You are the only person I know who gets excited over buying old furniture that you’re only going to resell.”

“Look at it like this, I am giving furniture new lives and you’ll be surprised at some of the things I find that are worth a lot.” I simply answer as I steal a piece of bacon from his plate.

“Hey do not steal my bacon! You know I am trained to kill.” Jamie says in a high voice.