Chapter One

Chapter One

Five years later… 

“Order up, Kree. Get your butt a moving times a wasting!” Joey yells through the window that divides the kitchen and the eating area.

Smiling I hurry to grab the food and yell back, “You know that I don’t work here anymore Joey. I do run my own business now.”

He waves me off and I can see a hint of a smile on his face. Joey may be big and scary, but he is like a teddy bear. I mean I won't want to get in a fight with him since he a big black guy who is over 6'5 and probably weighes over 300 pounds.

I quickly deliver the food to the right table and ask if I could get them anything else before going back to my store. Thankfully they were all good and I quickly leave the diner before I get sucked in to doing more tables. Why do I always come over here during my lunch break and always end up helping?

I slowly walk down Main Street to my corner store that I am proud to call mine; it is late May and he can feel summer coming around the corner. Looking at my lovely store, it took 5 long years of hard work to get where I am at today and I am truly happy; the day my dad left me was the best thing to happen. Yeah I did lose a lot of money, but I am surrounded by people who actually give a damn about me and to me that is more rewarding.

Before making my way to the door, I just stand there and take it all in. It’s a two story brick front store with black iron scroll work detail and there is an iron balcony over the front that provides shade. The front window is big and long that lets in lots of light into the century old building. I painted the door bright red and I restored an iron bench that I painted a crisp white that is settled below the window. Also I just put out black pots with flowers in varies of red, white, and yellow. Finally above and center is my sign that says in pretty cursive, Kree’s Antiques and More.

Smiling I unlock the door and push my way in as I flip the sign to open. I inhale deeply and take in the smell of old furniture and fresh flowers that I got this morning. Ever since I was a little girl I have always loved antiques. There is something about the history and character that fascinates me and I always wonder where the piece came from or who owned it. Also I love to refurnish pieces and give it a new life. 

I walk behind the old handcraved 1920s desk that once was in the Grand Plaza in New York, but now serves as the checkout area and flip the stereo on to the lite mix channel. Louis Armstrong’s What a Wonderful World hums throughout the store and I can’t help, but smile at how right it is.  Looking around I take in the rustic hard wood floors that took hours to refurbish and the brick wall that divides my shop from the book store next door. In the back corner there is a spiral stair case that leads to the second story loft area. It is were I have my office. Next to the stair case is a doorway that leads to the back of the store and that is where I restore pieces that needs lots of work.

The bell at the door rings as someone enters the store and I’m happy to see Grace. Since that day her and her grandfather helped me, we have been inseparable. I smile bigger when I see her 8 month old daughter Kinsley and I quickly run over to hug them. 

“Hey girl, I hope you don’t mind us coming over. I need something to keep me busy until tonight.” Grace says as she hands me Kinsley.