Broken Friendship

My eyes widened at the figure in front of me. "Rin..." I looked down at my feet, not being able to bring myself to look at him. I could hear Makoto and Nagisa talk excitedly to Rin but I couldn't get myself to join. I snapped my head back up to look at Rin when I heard him speak. "Haru, you're still hanging out with these guys? You never learn." Rin let out a scoff that fueled anger within me. How dare he?! I stepped forward in front of everyone, "What about you Rin? Still swimming?" I chuckled darkly, "As if we can even call it that anymore."

I saw the fire in Rin's eyes, I knew I hit a sore subject. He opened his mouth as if to retort my comment but then he quickly turned his attention back to Haru. "Let's race Haru." "Wait Haru," Makoto exclaimed as Rin and Haru walked off towards the pool. "Forget it Makoto, there's no point." "(Y/N)..." "I'm going home, see you guys later." Nagisa grabbed my hand and looked at me concerned. "Why are you leaving (Y/N)?" "I just need to clear my head," I said slightly smiling at Nagisa not wanting to make him worry.

I released my hand from his grasp and walked towards the exit. Rin's here huh? I gritted my teeth. What a burden.

~

The next day after school I decided to take a walk around town to clear my head. I couldn't stop thinking about last night. I sighed, "This is not good for my mental health." I noticed a vending machine on the curb of the street and went up to it to get a drink. I put my money in and grabbed the drink. I was about to open it when I bumped into someone next to me. I backed up feeling flustered, "I-I'm very sorry." I looked at the person I had bumped into and immediatly scowled and walked past him. 

"(Y/N)." I stopped and turned around, the scowl never leaving my face. "What do you want Rin?" "Would you mind taking a walk with me," he asked stepping closer. Rin was the last person I wanted to see right now but something made me give in. "Fine." I started walking off again but this time Rin rushed up besides me. We both remained silent, not even bothering to make eye contact with each other. "This is stressing me out," I whispered. Rin looked down at me blankly, "What?" "I wasn't talking to you sharkweek!" 

An amused look washed over his face which just made me angrier. "Wipe that look off your face." He held up his hands in defeat, "Well excuse me I didn't know you were a walking time-bomb." "What do you want from me Rin?" "I don't understand what you mean (Y/N)." I stopped walking, "Is your IQ as bad as your swimming?! We don't talk for years and last night you suddenly popped up out of no where insulting me and my friends and now you have the decency to even be in my presence?! What is your deal?!" 

"(Y/N) please, I don't want to do this right now. Can't I just spend time with you?" I rolled my eyes, "After everything you've done to me?! Please don't even act like you want to be my friend!" "Maybe I just wanted to make things right with you," Rin replied raising his voice. "Have you made things right with Makoto and Nagisa? What about Haru?" Rin just looked down as if he had some grudge against the sidewalk. "That's what I thought. Look, I know we were friends in the past but things have changed since then, you should know that. Until you make things right with the others you have hurt, I have no intention of becoming your friend again." 

I turned away from him and began to head back home. I felt my eyes tearing up but managed to keep them at bay. I eventually made it back home, noticing that Haru was out. I went to my room and let the tears fall. Everything is broken between us. Why did this happen?

~Flashback~

I skipped along towards Iwatobi Swim Club humming as I came up to the building. However, I stopped when I noticed a maroon haired boy run out. That almost looks like- "Rin!" I called out to the boy but he showed no intention of stopping. I ran to him and grabbed his wrist. "Rin! I didn't know you were back from Australia!" The boy turned to look at me but I frowned when I saw tears falling down his cheeks. "What's wrong Rin?" He just turned his head away from me, saying nothing. We remained silent for a minute before I got an idea.

"Hey Rin. I know what will cheer you up! I was just heading to Iwatobi Swim Club so how about you come with me and we can race. I would love to see the progress you've made since you left." I chuckled a little. "Don't think I haven't improved too though! I've been working hard since you left for Australia so-" "Shut up." "What?" "Just shut up will you? Jeez you're so annoying. Besides, why should I swim with you, it's such a waste." 

I was shocked at what I was hearing. This was not the Rin I once knew. "But what about our dream? We we're going to be the best swimmers in the world." He scoffed at me, "Are you still focused on that childish dream? You really need to grow up." Tears slid down my cheeks as I let go of Rin's wrist. As soon as I did he turned from me and walked away. I looked back at the Iwatobi Swim Club, noticing Haru standing in the door way. I didn't even bother to go talk to him and made my way back home.

A/N: I promise this fanfic will get happy, it just has to build up to that point! D: I'm not sure when the next chapter will be up, I'm slow at updating....*cough* But I will try to write as much as I can! Alright then, see you in the next chapter! :D