Chapter One// The School Nerd

Start from the beginning

I retrieve it in my palm and read the text in my head. "Josh?" Lacy asks as I end the call and throw my trash away in the bin. I load everything back into my bag with a quick nod.

"Yup. He's asked me to meet him outside History, he wants to talk to me before lessons start. See you later." I wave Lacy goodbye then leave her to continue eating her lunch.

I make my way up two flights of stairs and turn the corner until I am on the humanities corridor. I spot Josh straight away, his blonde hair scraped back by the tug of his hand raking through it. His attention is focused on his phone screen so he doesn't see me approaching until I am only a foot away.

"Hey babe." We exchange a quick kiss whilst the hall is desolate and there is no one to spectate. Then he holds my hand as I step closer to him. His aftershave wafts up my nose, a scent I have learnt to except over the year and come to like.

"What did you want to talk about?"

"Well, my mom told me last night that I have to baby sit her friend's son this Saturday," he says with a dull sigh.

"But Saturday is our date night," I whine, rising up onto my tip toes so our eyes are level. I pout and he lifts a finger to support under my chin. His smile is so adorable.

"I know. That's why I wanted to ask you if it would be ok to move our date to tonight? It shouldn't be too hard to change the reservation."

"I would love to but I have a report to write for English," I sulk, playing with his fingers in mine. "I don't have time but to write it tonight and it could take hours."

"You could do it on Saturday instead?" His voice gleams hopeful. But the push of my pout lowers his eyes.

"No."

Why does homework take up most of my life? Do teachers not understand that us students actually have better things to do. I don't usually mind sitting down in the evening and getting out my laptop to write, but if it means getting in the way of my personal life, e.g. Josh, then I have a problem with it.

"That's ok," he accepts with a twitch of his mouth. We stand holding hands for another moment then Josh's face lights up. "Hey, how about you ask Nathan to write your report for you? Then you can come out tonight." He sounds rather pleased with his idea.

"Who's Nathan?" I question, rising back up onto my toes to study his eyes better.

"That nerd at the back of our Biology class," he tells me with a nonchalant shrug of his broad shoulders. "I'm sure if I ask him, or threaten to beat him up, he'll do it."

"Josh!" I hit his chest hard, frowning at the way he chuckles in amusement at his violent thoughts, which I clearly am not impressed with.

"Sorry babe," his head bows with a slight smirk. "But if anyone will do it, it will be the school nerd."

Them words shoot through me like a bullet. Oh, so Nathan must be the name of the 'school nerd' Lacy had been referring to. Woah, so is it not just Lacy who calls him by that title? I guess Josh does too.

"How many other people call him the school nerd?" As soon as the last word leaves my lips, Josh stares at me with fixed eyes. It's as if I'd just asked a question that has the most obvious answer, like why can't pigs fly. "What?" I ask, suddenly becoming uncomfortable at the way his eyes penetrate through me.

"Sorry," he shakes his head then lands a gentle gaze back on me. "It's just everyone knows that he is the school nerd. Come on Paige, no one else in this school is like him. He has no friends, gets perfect grades and wears glasses way too big for him."

He has a point. But discriminating against smart people is just preposterous! Although admitting my true feelings will only lead to more conversation, and right now I am just happy staring up into his big brown eyes.

"Ok, it was a stupid question," we laugh it off and soon the bell rings, saving me from further embarrassment on the subject I completely object to.

"We'll plan another date some other time, ok?" We share one last kiss before we walk into class. I sit in my usual seat at the front and Josh trails through the columns until he reaches the very back.

I glance over to my boyfriend with a wide grin, taking in a breathe at how hot he looks as he winks at me and how lucky I am to have him. Then my eyes avert to the desk beside his, a brown haired boy sits himself down with all his equipment arranged out on the desk. Carefully studying him, it soon comes to my attention that the guy is in fact Nathan- the 'school nerd'. Just as Josh had described, he is wearing rectangular glasses and stereotypical clothes of what people presume a nerd would wear: a knitted vest top over a buttoned up shirt and striped tie.

I take a moment to stare at him some more, my eyes scrutinising his structure and facial features.

He seems to keep his eyes hidden by gazing down at his books, engrossed in whatever he is reading. He is cleanly shaved with a flat smile, his emotions passive therefore hard to define. He looks up, meets my gaze, then shyly peers back down to the pages of his book, lifting it up to block him from my view.

Maybe if he is more confident he would have friends? Or perhaps a girlfriend? He seems cute in an innocent, intelligent, dorky sort of way.

"Right class!" Mr Adam's booming voice jolts everyone's attention in the room as the late arrivals scurry to their seats. I swivel back in my chair to face the front, secretively wanting to turn back around and stare at the school nerd I thought is cute some more.